Skip to main content

I'm not a college swimmer anymore

As usual, I didn't sleep well on sunday night. The body was extremely tired and I just couldn't sleep. Oh well, it happens almost every sunday. I took all of Monday off and spent the day working on nutrition consultations. I was at my parents house for the day and we talked a bit about our kona plans. My parents support me so much (as they always have) and I couldn't ask for more devoted parents. Of course a trip of Kona is hard to turn down (funny-they just mentioned that I should do Ironman France or New Zealand next year????Hummm, can you say VACA for the parents???). My bro and I are very lucky that my parents enjoy sporting events 'cause they have been to so many swim meets, triathlon races and gymnastics meets (Aaron). Monday is always a quick day no matter how much I try to enjoy a full day off from training. This morning I was a little unprepared that our masters/triathlon swim team had to share the pool with the High School swim team. Divided in half, we all shared the pool with the triathletes in lanes 5-8 and the HS swimmers in lanes 1-4. As a chance to push myself and see if I could hang, Matt said I could join the HS swimmers. As I was barely hanging on for the main set of 8 X 250 IM's (25 fly, 50 back, 75 breast, 100 free) I could totally relate to the HS swimmers. I remember the early morning swim practices in high school and college before I went to class (while the rest of the world was fast asleep), playing around on the bottom of the pool while the coach wasn't looking and just sharing time in the locker room chatting about how hard practice was and yet you couldn't wait to go back for more. It must be a swimmer-thing but I don't think I'll ever no enjoy being in the water. So I sadly did not make the set and as I was swimming freestyle and the rest of my lane was still swimming the whole set IM, I couldn't believe that I use to be an All-American breastroker and IMer. Oh well. I like my life now. I swim AND bike and run. I love being a triathlete!!!

If you are in the area, I will be speaking at the PALM HARBOR YMCA at 8pm on wednesday evening (8/29/07). I will be discussing pre, during and post training nutrition for triathletes. All are welcome but the meeting is put-on by the future "no name yet" Palm Harbor triathlon club. Email me at mrakes1@hotmail.com w/ any questions.