Skip to main content

Feel-good chocolate cake

Sometimes I impress myself. I didn't think it was possible but I modified a baking recipe to make it a bit healthier and it came out delicious!
On saturday, Karel and I biked to the beach group ride (20 miles), did most of the ride (22 miles) and biked home (20). It was a fun morning, although I wasn't feeling much power in my legs on the ride home. I had one good pull during the ride but other than that I was trying to hang on near the bike for dear life. My friend Stephanie (who is the other female on the ride and super strong on the road bike and MTB) and I got dropped after the Nocatee bridge (which is typical for us) so we jumped back in a few miles down the road. We knew the ride would be super tough because Karel, Jeff, Clint and Curtis (all Cat 1 riders) were having fun with all of the 25+ guys on the ride. Of course, Steph and I were not enjoying the fast pace when Karel or Jeff would make a break but then again, it made the ride go by super fast.
On the ride home Karel randomly told me that he really wanted a chocolate cake. Hum...chocolate cake? Can I really make a healthy cake and make it taste good?
As I was running with Campy off the bike (our typical weekend 3 mile run) I was thinking of ways that I can re-create a chocolate cake recipe without loads of sugar. I knew that I would need chocolate (which has a high amount of fat and calories) but could there be a way to make the cake moist and sweet without the typical ingredients: chocolate, flour, eggs, butter and sugar.

Well, to all my chocolate lovers...it can be done and you can feel good when eating it! Karel enjoyed the cake so much that I had to hide it in the fridge 'cause he couldn't keep his hands off of it! Too bad Karel is sneaky cause he found it and there is no more cake :)

Enjoy!


Feel-good chocolate cake

1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter
2 blocks (4 small rectangles) unsweetened Baking Chocolate
1/3 cup Skim Milk
2/3 cups frozen Raspberries
2 tsp. Instant Coffee
1 egg yoke + 5 egg whites
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. Cream of Tartar
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees and spray a round baking dish with butter non-stick spray (2-3 quick squirts to coat sides and bottom)
2. Place flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl, mix and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, on low heat, combine chocolate, milk, coffee, raspberries (smashed), butter, brown sugar and honey. Stir until chocolate is melted.
4. When everything is melted, remove from burner, add egg yoke and vanilla, and stir for 2-3 minutes until mixture is smooth.
4. In a glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites (no yokes) and cream of tarter until stiff peaks form (this may take 5 or more minutes).
5. Slowly fold in the chocolate mixture into the stiff egg whites. To fold, take a mixing spoon and fold mixture from bottom of the bowl (started from the outsides of the bowl) to the center of the bowl.
6. When chocolate is folded into eggs, slowly add flour (by the tbsp) until flour is mixed.
7. Pour the batter into your pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is firm. You can test with a toothpick in the center of the pan to see if it comes out clean. If so, your cake is ready.

I recommend serving with low fat vanilla yogurt and strawberries (or your choice of fresh fruit).










It's been a while..how about some cute Campy pics...