Skip to main content

Busy intern/athlete

What a week this has been. 3rd week of build for IMWI training and a busy week of being a dietetic intern.
I took Mon and Tues off from training. I typically don't take off two days in a row but as I laid in bed on Mon evening I really couldn't come up with a reason to train on Tues. I came up with about 10 reasons not to train and my first one was "I need sleep!"

My interning schedule is keeping me up late in the evening due to course work. 4:15am is my new 5:45am and I am getting use to rolling out of bed well before anyone else in my household. Well, Campy gets out of bed some mornings just to see if I will give him any PB from my pre-training snack but I don't want to get him in the habit of getting up when I get up so I always have to tell him "go back to bed with daddy". Typically, he listens :)
After interning at WIC (Women Infant and Children) with the health department all day on Tues (8am - 4:15pm) I gladly welcomed my workout on Wed.
Karel was away at Trek World on Mon - Wed so this has been an extra tough week balancing Campy, interning and training.
Wednesday workout was great. My friend Mallory joined me on the treadmill for her walk/run and I clicked away the miles for my "interval-ish" tempo run.
9.5 miles later (1 hour and 20 min) I was a sweaty mess and ready for a swim. I quickly did some hip, core, leg and arm exercises (circuit style) and hit the pool for a 3600 yrd swim.
I had my first counseling session on Wed and it went great! I am really learning a lot as an intern and it was nice to put my interning to action. I can't wait to do more one-on-one counseling!! I am trying to use motivational interviewing as my main source of counseling but I still have a lot to learn. It is hard to not educate during a session when someone wants to change dietary habits. However, sometimes it is best to just let the client counsel him/herself to get to the root of personal food/diet/weight issues. We all have the tools and knowledge to improve health but oddly enough, that knowledge doesn't always work. Sometimes we need to take a moment and address the bigger (or smaller) issues of our eating issues and find a way to reframe the situation and be more realistic and practical with our thinking/belief.

I gladly welcomed home Karel on Wed. We sure did miss him...Campy was SUPER happy! I read some chapters in my community nutrition book while Karel took a well-needed (short) nap.

Today was another busy day. I was on the trainer at 5am for a 1 hr and 45 min interval session. The ride was good and I was happy to catch up on my reality shows. Sometimes I need a break from all the professionalism in my life :) I always love a good laugh.
After the ride I put on my fuel belt (humidity was high this morning) and headed out for a 4 mile run. I averaged 7:40 min/mile for my run and I was pleased with my run. Campy was ready for his run when I returned so we quickly went for a mile run.

After I cleaned myself up, had a glass of milk w/ 1 tsp glutamine and made a super yummy oatmeal and fruit breakfast, I hit the road for St. Augustine.
I spent the day at Center for Living and had a wonderful day.
My preceptor and I did quarterly chart notes on the patients at the facility for a few hours and I can tell I am really improving on my notes and doing better with reading labs and addressing nutrition concerns w/ weight changes.
Lunch was at Manatees, a vegetarian restaurant. This has to be the best lunch I have EVER had!!!
I ordered the Breakfast Burrito:
Whole wheat tortilla, scrambled tofu, hummus, cheese, sprouts, sweet potato, avocado & salsa. Served with salad and basil vinaigrette



I can't tell you how many times during my lunch I said out loud "Oh my gosh this is SOOO good". I am not a fan of eating out because I rarely find vegetarian foods (that are filling, healthy and worth the money) that make me excited to order them...however, today I was excited to the max. YUM!

After lunch I gave an inservice to the Center for Living employees (one at 3pm and one at 3:30pm) on food safety, preparation and storage. I had everyone work in groups to fill in blanks of a handout I created and then we discussed the answers out loud. I gave a prize of chocolate to the winning team. I think everyone had a good time during the mandatory monthly inservice. I was a little nervous because food service/prep is a new area for me and I don't start my rotation until Mid Sept but it was a great experience for me and as always, I learned lots of new things.

Well, time to hit the books. Oh my, it is almost 8:30pm!! Looks like I'll be falling asleep with textbooks in my arms pretty shortly.....4:20am will be here before I know it. A 3 1/2 hr training session + a full day of private practice is on the schedule for Friday and then my LAST BIG training weekend for IMWI!!!