Skip to main content

Veggie bean and rice stir-fry

Yesterday was my LAST day of Long Term Care. I can't believe how much information I learned, how many different conditions I saw and how much I still have to learn!
In around 8 hours, we saw 18 residents at the nursing home!! WOW-talk about a busy last day! In contrast from the first week of Long Term Care (5 weeks ago), I feel much more comfortable charting on residents. I know where to look for information in the charts, I can 80% read the handwriting in nursing and physician notes and I can recognize several medications based on disease conditions.

Monday is going to be a life-changing day. Well, the next 13-weeks are going to amazing but Monday starts it all. I can't believe it is time to start my last part of my dietetic internship! It's time to buy a lab coat because I am heading to St. Vincent's Hospital to be a acute care dietitian! I can only imagine what I am going to see and do while I intern at the hospital and I am ready for it all! I think it is so neat that I am able to take part in the experience and I know I will remember this dietetic internship for the rest of my life. Although $12,000 is coming out of my bank account to be eligible to sit for the national Registered Dietitian Exam, this 10-month internship is absolutely priceless.

This meal was super comforting after a filled day of interning. The combination of flavors and textures was super delicious and I think I could eat this meal every night of the week. YUM!
Enjoy!

Veggie bean and rice stir-fry
firm tofu (cubed)
broccoli
mushrooms (sliced)
Garlic (chopped)
Red Beans
Olive oil
Soo Foo blend (you can use your favorite whole grains) - http://soo-foo.com/insoofoo.html
optional: sunflower seeds

1. Cook rice (may take 30-45 min).
2. In a small pan on medium heat, cook garlic and tofu in a little olive oil (1/2 tbsp) until golden brown. Sprinkle with a little paprika to help with browning.
3. While tofu is cooking, steam mushrooms and broccoli in medium bot until soft.
4. When tofu is finished cooking (and veggies are steamed), empty water from veggies and add tofu and garlic to broccoli and mushrooms. Add beans (if canned, rinse well with water).
5. When rice is finished cooking, place a serving of rice (1/2 cup) in a large bowl and top with beans, mushrooms and broccoli. Top with seeds.