Skip to main content

Cauliflower-Creamed Spinach Recipe


There's something about the cooler weather that excites my appetite for new recipes. And with less time dedicated to training in the fall, I have more time to devote to cooking.

Since I don't like following recipes, I like to get inspired by the food that I have in my kitchen and then I find a recipe that will allow me to be creative with my ingredients.

After googling "spinach and cauliflower vegetarian recipe," I clicked on the first website that I came across - Seriouseats.com  I adapted the recipe just a little and the final product turned out amazingly delicious. I paired the cauliflower spinach mix with roasted potatoes, hardboiled eggs and a sprinkle of cashews. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 small head cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 cup milk 
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 cup chopped white onion
  • 3 medium garlic cloves - minced
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I used this in my dish but next time, I will leave this out)
  • 2 small packages frozen (and defrosted) spinach
  • Salt/pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Combine cauliflower and milk in large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until cauliflower is tender. Blend into a puree (or mash). 
  2. Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When melted, add onion and garlic, stir frequently until soft but not brown. (this is where you will add nutmeg if you choose to use it - I didn't care for the taste of it in the recipe. I would have rather used cumin). 
  3. Add spinach, one handful at a time. Stir and fold until spinach is wilted. 
  4. Add spinach mix to cauliflower mix and stir to combine. Stir occasionally and cook until mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Serve with your choice starch and protein.