Skip to main content

Choosing Happiness


I'll be honest. This week has been tough.

As an empath, I feel the emotions of other people - good and bad. With so much going on in the world and in our close network of friends, I found myself absorbing so many different emotions this past week. It was often hard to show up to workouts but I knew that once I got myself in the pool or outside for a ride or run, I would be able to center myself. Nature rejuvenates me on so many different levels so my workouts are not just an opportunity to gain fitness, but a much-needed reset and recharge. 

With only three more weeks until the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in St. George, I am feeling healthy, strong and confident. As I said before, sometimes it's hard to get a workout started but once I get going, I am so thankful that I got myself going. 

During my Sunday long run, I couldn't help but think about happiness and the importance of choosing happiness. My love/hate relationship with running is in the love phase so I have been running really happy lately. My workout was ~50 minutes of best easy pace running followed by 4 x 3 min hill runs w/ ~3.5 min EZ jog back down between. Then best easy pace home for a little over 13 miles and around 1:50 of running. 

Sometimes we have to give up something good to achieve something great.

But you should never give up everything that makes you happy in exchange for nothing.

It’s not selfish to not want to give things up, especially if those things make you happy. You should feel happy when you do what you love, even if it’s a hobby.

Never feel bad about prioritizing your needs. If what makes you happy is part of your self-identity, taking that thing away means you stop being yourself. Don’t become a shadow of yourself.

Choosing to be happy is hard when you stop being yourself in order to please others.

Understand that it’s impossible to serve, give and to take care of others if you are not taking care of your own needs.

You are not selfish for taking care of yourself, for wanting to be happy, for setting boundaries, for choosing a lifestyle that you love and for wanting to grow, learn and to experience life.

Even when life is dark, challenging and difficult, choose not to give up on you happiness.