Skip to main content

The grand finale - GVL WBL #8

 

True to its name, the last GVL WBL was a cold one. Like really really cold. The location changed to Donaldson (~7-mile loop) due to possible ice/snow on the planned route. The start time was also moved back to 11am to give time for it to warm up. However, when we started the ride, it was ~32 degrees F and the wind chill was in the 20s (and the wind was gusty!). It was one for the record books for me - I have never biked in such cold conditions before! I was really proud of myself for doing the group ride and collecting a few more points before the podium ceremony at the Think Tank Brewery. The ride was "only" 35 miles (1:46). We did one warm-up loop and then it was time for the action - each loop had a designated group that was "sprinting". The women went on loop 3 and 5. The last loop also included the QOM/KOM. It was a spicy ride and the strong wind and cold made it even tougher. And just when I thought I was done and ready to defrost in the car, a group of ~8 riders were heading out to do the ~30 mile country loop. Just when I thought I had no more left in me (and my feet frozen), I found myself riding with the group and adding another 1:36 of riding time to my ride. I ended up with 67 miles (3:27) which made me happy because I didn't want Karel to one-up me by too much with his gravel ride. I managed to talk myself into a run off the bike (thanks Yannick for the accountability!) and ended up feeling somewhat good (and my feet finally dethawed around 1 mile into my 2-mile brick run).

Karel joined a group in Walhalla, SC (~75 minute drive) for another Southeast gravel recon (69 miles) and he said it was also very cold and there were some sections with ice/snow. 

And that's a wrap on another series of the Greenville Winter Bike League (GVL WBL). This was my second year participating in this group ride series put on by Debbie, Cate and Andrew of the Supra Cycling team. I attended 6 of the 8 events. I missed #1 because we were in Maui for our Xterra events. I didn't attend #7 because the location changed due to bad weather (snow) and I opted to stay indoors on the trainer. Unlike last year, the weather was not in our favor but I'm proud of myself for attending 6 of the 8 rides. Most rides had at least 20 riders and sometimes over 50. The ride starts at 10am from Trailblazer Park and the routes are typically 3-4 hours (~60-70 miles) with a SAG vehicle following the A-group and a designated store stop. Each ride has a specific route planned with a KOM/QOM and near the end of the series, a sprint zone. There are raffles prizes to be won and a points to be earned for attending. There is even a cash prize for winning the KOM/QOM (typically $40-$50!). There were so many incentives for attending, not to mention socializing and gaining a good amount of fitness. Every Saturday I found myself excited and nervous for the ride. But at the end I felt so accomplished - especially when the weather was cold, windy and dreary. This group kept me accountable to showing up no matter how I felt or how cold it was outside. 



The Supra team gave out awesome awards and a lot of great prizes. I placed 2nd in the women's category with my friend and riding buddy Carley in 3rd and Cate (the sprinting rocket) in 1st. I was also 3rd "overall" (it was actually Men Pro 1,2 category but Cate and I earned enough points to be counted in this category. Although I earned $150 cash for my placings, the idea of collecting points was a big incentive for me as I always arrived nervous and excited for the opportunity to give my best effort. 


Although I've finished every A-ride that I've started, no ride has been easy for me. Each ride takes me out of my comfort zone. And that's exactly why I love doing this series. 

A bit of background....
I did not grow up riding bikes. Karel and I met on a group ride when I was 24 and I was scared of being around others while riding. Karel was an experienced cyclist and I was a triathlete training for my first Ironman. I had a tri bike but I had no idea how to really ride it - I had no skills. Of course it didn't help that I lived in flat Florida as I could get away with bad riding habits and poor cycling skills. I was ok joining in on the local group ride but there was nothing too technical about the ride. The group rides were more about ego than tactics. 

When we moved to Greenville in 2014, I was forced to improve my skills. With ~1000 feet of elevation gain for ~1 hr of riding (unless you climb one of our many mountains, which could add another 2000+ feet of elevation gain in 2-7 miles) you have to have great skills, strength, resiliency, confidence and endurance to train outside in our incredible cycling playground. It took me several years to improve my skills, strength and confidence on my bike (triathlon and road bike) but it has given me so many more riding opportunities. Again, I am just so proud of myself for completing these rides. Aside from the socializing aspect and having good endurance, these rides showcase my weaknesses and that is why I keep coming back for more and more suffering. 

A big thank you to Debbie, Cate, Andrew and all the participating sponsors and support for putting on the GVL WBL series.