Skip to main content

"Tis the season for trail running

There's two things that go really well together - fall and trail running. 

Over the past few years, I've fallen in love with running off road. I really enjoy being in nature, shutting off my mind and feeling myself getting stronger with every run. Although I still run on the road throughout the fall/winter/spring, I try to incorporate trail running into my weekly training routine. We have several great off-road options, from Dupont to Paris Mountain to the cross country trails around Furman University. 

On Saturday, Karel and I participated in our first local trail run - the Paris Mountain 16K Trail race. It was a small event but we used it as a great training opportunity. Although we reconned the course last weekend, I missed a turn early in the race and ended up running .6 miles extra. I was upset about this as I wanted to push myself in the race so after I realized my mistake, I found myself needing to pass a lot of people on a technical section that required a lot of walking. I was still enjoying myself but it wasn't how I invisioned the day going. But that's off-road racing - there are always obstacles to overcome. Karel wasn't able to keep up with the fast guys at the front but he ended up 5th overall in 1:20. I finished around 1:50. It was a great training day and we got to see several familiar faces. The course had around 1400 feet elevation so it made for a really tough morning run. 

As I was running, I was thinking about all the reasons why I love trail running.



When trail running, focus is key. Rocks, roots, uneven surfaces, water crossings, fallen trees. Although some trails are easy to navigate, some can be very technical. I love the decision making that is involved in running (and riding) off road. 

Finding the right pair of trail shoes is very important. Karel and I purchased our trail shoes from Run In and after trying on several different types, we are currently running in:
Karel - Nike Ultrafly Trail
Marni - React Pegasus Trail 4 SE Trail 

Also, bringing along your own water and fuel is key as you have to be self-sufficient when you are out alone in nature. Karel wears the same hydration belt that he wears in triathlon. I wear a hydration pack. 
Karel - PYFK Running Belt Hydration Waist Pack
Marni - USWE Pace 2 hydration vest

When I run off road, I don't wear sunglasses. However, when I ride off road, I wear photochromic lenses in my glasses so that the lense changes in dark vs. light conditions. 

Because of the uneven footing, jumping, quick changes in direction and sometimes slipping on a rock or root, you need full-body tension at all times. While the legs are doing a lot of the work to move you forward, a strong core is key. Good stability with the core, lower body and of course, the ankles is also important. 

The miles go by a lot slower off road than on the road. But the cardio system works just as hard (if not harder). I find that I am building endurance during a high intensity workout every time I run off road. 

The first year of incorporating trail running into my routine left me with a lot of niggles. But overtime, all of my supporting ligaments, tendons and muscles got stronger. As a result, I find myself able to recover a lot quicker from off-road running compared to a really hard road run. 

When running on the road, it's easy to have one style of running. Off road requires every part of your body to work - calves, glutes, quads, arms and feet. It also requires a lot more hoping (kinda like plyometrics) and a very quick running cadence. 

I think one of the reasons why I often find myself getting off course or lost during off-road races is the complexity of running off road. My brain is working so quickly to focus on the ground under me, controlling what my body is doing and where I want to go ahead of me. This constant decision making means that if I zone out for a split second, I can easily fall or miss a turn. But that is also what I love so much about running (and riding) off road - you have to be so alert. 

If you have the opportunity to run off road, keep it fun. Try not to get frustrated. Trail running is not easy and it's very easy to find yourself struggling, falling, feeling uncomfortable or finding it difficult to navigate the terrain. It's ok to walk, stop and enjoy the scenery. It doesn't have to (and shouldn't) feel like road running. It's a different sport to road running and it's a lot of fun.