Skip to main content

Back to School!

I was a little nervous this morning. After a relaxing weekend of lots of running on the treadmill, watching TV and finishing up some nutrition consultations, I anxiously awaited my first day of school!!! I have been up and down about my decision to go back to school and well, I finally committed. More so, my credit card committed and I signed up for 3 classes and a lab at st.pete college. Still working on telling myself I can invest a little more $$$ on books (those things would come in handy for my classes) but it's tough when I'm just getting by as it is. Hey, I'm 25, I have no kids, the wedding is in 9 months and a sports nutrition career is the driving force for everything I do in life. This is the time that I do this and I'm actually looking forward to this next journey in my life. To start off my morning, I decided to swim. The cold weather last week kept me away from the chilly air last week. The weather was beautiful w/ a nice cool breeze so I decided to swim outside at the Palm Harbor Y. Only crazy marni was there before the sun came up so I enjoyed the pool all to myself. I guess I was super motivated with school on my mind that I actually committed myself to a swim set. I usually play around in the pool w/ a 1000 swim and maybe a 500 pull or kick and then I call it a day. This morning I did a 500 warm up and a great set of 300, 2 x 200, 3 x 100 and did that two times. The 300 was pull and the rest was swim. I even did IM on the second set of the 200's and 100's. I finished with 4 x 50's of 25 no breathe under water butterfly kick and 25 backstroke. Just working on the lung capacity. I guess this morning I started a new chapter in my life. Back to time management, discipline, balance and happiness. For some reason I feel like school is an important part of my life and I've been without it for over a year. Not sure if many people love school as much as I do, but beyond the stress, exams, late nights and sitting in class I absolutely love learning. I couldn't be more excited to have someone educate me! Maybe that's why I love educating others so much. The classes I'm taking right now are Biology (w/ Lab), global marketing and Medical terminology. Because I have always been a chemistry/exercise science nerd, I don't have any biology classes in my education background. I have a small list of pre-req courses which I will combine with the online accredited dietetic courses that I will be taking this summer. The courses at St.pete college are a big change from graduate school (my bio class actually has extra credit!!! There was minimal extra credit in grad school...let alone an opportunity to bring up a grade after 2 exams) but I'm excited to be back in class. Well, I hope my enthusiasm keeps up during the next couple of months. Just like a new training plan, a new nutrition change or a new job, things look great at first but it takes a positive outlook to stay committed to your new changes. Well, time to get ready for my evening class.... Now this is a change I will really have to get use to!