Skip to main content

Thoughts on school


It is now my third day of classes. Biology seems to be an easy class and the lab will be enjoyable. Global Marketing is going to be an interesting class and as a new area for me, I'm really looking forward to it. Aside from being 3 hours and starting at 7pm on Monday night, I think I will survive. Tonight I have Medical terminology which I have been looking forward to all week!
As far as being a non-degree student, I have caught myself comparing graduate school to st.pete college. I've listed some of my generalizations....IMPORTANT: I am not suggesting that people shouldn't get a master degree but it was one off the most stressful and difficult times of my life. I wouldn't take it back but I would have to see on the incentives if I were asked to do it all over again!
1) In graduate school you have all night classes, the staff is made up of 4-6 professors and you have class in the same room for all the classes. At St.pete I actually get to pick my classes, teachers and campus.
2) At st.pete college you leave class with a good understanding of the material. Quizzes are announced prior to class and the exams cover 3-4 chapters. In graduate school you leave class confused and stressed and your brain hurts. There are only 1-2 exams which make up your entire grade, quizzes are random suprises and the exams cover 12-15 chapters.
3) At st.pete college the teachers have office hours and encourage students to ask questions. Extra credit is offered. In graduate school, you do not want to ask questions during class because there is so much material to cover in a 4 hour class that you risk staying at school past 10pm (class ending time). Extra credit???..ha!
4) At st.pete college the classes vary from 1 hour to 3 hours. Exams are multiple choice on scantrons (no essays) and they take less than 30 minutes to complete. In graduate school the classes are 3-4 hours, not including laboratory time. Exams are multiple choice, true or false and essay. No question is without a trick answer and the exam takes 3-4 hours if you budget your time well and hope to finish all the questions. *My exit exam took me 6 hours and I wrote over 15 pages to answer 4 questions.
Well, those are just some of my thoughts on my courses right now. I know things will become much more time consuming and difficult come this summer when I start my online dietetic courses but with applicable information, I have a feeling it won't be too hard to enjoy studying.

I found these quotes and thought these were appropriate for all those students (at one time) out there:
A university is what a college becomes when the faculty loses interest in the students.

A professor is one who talks in someone else’s sleep.

College is a place to keep warm between high school and an early marriage.

Does college pay? They do if you are a good open-field runner.

The purpose of primary education is the development of your weak characteristics; the purpose of university education, the development of your strong.

The average Ph.D. thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from one graveyard to another.