Skip to main content

Appreciate the little things

It's funny how life can give you good days and bad days. As for me, I have seen better days in the past 2 weeks. Ever since the Miami Marathon, where I hurt my foot, I have found myself to not be as energetic, positive and excited for life. For the past 2 weeks, something very important to me has been missing. I have never considered myself a person who has had an addiction to anything (well, maybe besides a wonderful cup of coffee and American Idol on tues and wed. nights!), but training and racing triathlons has been my addiction for the past 2 years. I find joy, happiness and enthusiasm in my sport. I wake up excited to train and finish a training session with the mindset that I can't wait to train again. Yes-I consider myself very lucky to feel so passionate when I beat up my body for over 15 hours a week. Whether I'm getting up at 5am to prepare myself for a 4 hour bike ride, swimming redundant laps in a YMCA swimming pool or running on the treadmill for a grueling hour of almost "throw-up" worthy speed intervals, I absolutely crave training for triathlons. And don't even get me started about racing!So, while it may be an addiction, I could not imagine doing anything more healthy for my body, mind and heart. Triathlons have taught me how to appreciate the finer things in life, such as time-mangement, budgeting/saving money (race fees, expensive equipment, travel, etc.), patience and more so, a great appreciation for my body.
Speaking of which...
I just got back from the doctor and it appears that I have strong calves, a weak achilles, I'm a major pronator (nothing new) and I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. As far as the diagnosis, nothing major that a "perscription" ibuprofen for 7 days/ 2x day won't solve ;) Gotta love the meds. Hopefully with some salt baths, ice after training, continuous stretching and a good dosage of pills, I will be back and running in less than two weeks. As far as cycling and swimming (which I haven't done in 4 days!), I am preparing myself for making up for lost training time. OK-so I won't go crazy with my training, but I'm excited to get back to a normal schedule.
For those who may be injured, train through injuries or have never been injured, let my experience be a lesson to really appreciate what you do, everytime you do it. Maybe you complain at times because training causes many uncomfortable aches and pains, but listen to your body even if you are at mile 19.5 of a marathon. Being an athlete does not ensure a license for stubborness and stupidity and to think that you can just "run" through pain. If anyone knows me well, I want to post-pone a long run when I have a blister on my toe. Even with 12 body piercings, one Ironman Tattoo and a 11-hour Ironman finish, I am a major wuss when it comes to pains and aches. But, to justify my complaining, I actually enjoy training. And, most of that is because I always train and race injury free. Secondly, I never feel overtrained.
Although I try to listen to my body when I am feeling tired, sore or achy, I now know that what I do is a big part of my life and I want to do it forever.
I am a triathlete and I appreciate the little things in life.
*Especially all the tendons, nerves and fibers in my right foot that have been causing me pain and unhappiness for the past week!
As I head out to Bradenton this weekend to help with a triathlon clinic, featuring Hunter Kemper and Luc Morrin, I will carry a smile on my face knowing that I am surrounded by many athletes who feel exactly the way I feel about this sport. What a great feeling!
To everyone who has offered concerned for me, for the past week or so, thank you for caring for me. It's nice to have great people in my life. Thanks for the support, to all my loving friends.