Skip to main content

Helping out Others

Ok, so I will briefly fill you in with my amazing weekend of cycling and then I will talk about something besides myself.
I was so excited for my ride on saturday. Finally, riding with the Gearlink group. Well, once again, I was dropped, couldn't keep up and I saw many butts cycling away in the distance. However, staying positive and keeping optimistic, I finished my ride with a smile on my face. "wow" I said, "I feel really strong!". I know I wasn't riding like this last year. That makes me feel good.
This morning I headed out early (by car) and went to the suncoast trail. If you ever want a great place to ride in Florida, come to the Tampa bay area. Not only are there amazing group rides and triathletes/cyclists everywhere, but we have several trails specifically for active people. No cars, no motorvehicles, nothing. Just a bunch of legs pedaling, rollerblading, running or walking. And because safety is always a must when riding, I love the trails cause I can listen to my music and totally zone out during my long rides.
This morning I started around 6:30am and kept the HR low and very aerobic. I really enjoyed my time and since I am all about my upcoming Ironman training, I am not minding the solo training. Actually, I know it is a necessary component of my training. However, talk to me again in September and I'll be begging you to do a 3 hour run or a 120 mile bike ride with me. Yep-it does get old and tiresome every now and then.
At the end of my 60 mile ride today, I met with a lady Sarah who i am going to coach on a weekly basis. She is a fun chick, but she is scared of the bike (hope you don't mind me talking about you Sarah).
She laughed when she told me how scared she was of her aerobars, how uneasy she felt clipped in her pedals and how scary it is riding close to other people. She said she sounds so silly talking like that, but I told her not to worry. Although I am her coach and I hope to teach her how to love riding her bike, I TOTALLY RELATE!!!
I'll let you in on a little about my history...
How funny! A girl (me) who is now training for the Ironman World Championships in 7 months (oh my!) and I have only been riding a tri-bike for almost 2 years. My first 3 triathlons were on a hybrid and I can't even tell you how cool I looked with my pedals that I could slide my shoe into and my straight handlebars. I was always so excited to go to the races but my bike never really looked like the others. It was very frustrating to race cause my back would always hurt after the two Olympic Distance tri's I did on the hybrid. Finally I got a Tri-bike (trek) and it was the scariest thing. I had only riden the Hybrid for about a year but I probably put in more miles in spin classes. Ok-truth be known. The only miles on the hybrid were during the 3 races I finished on it! haha-that is sad.
My experience with aerobars and clip-in pedals was just the same. I can still admit that i continue working on my skills and technique on the bike. Even riding my Seduza QR (Which I got 2 months before IMFL), I still feel like I am improving with my skills all the time. For example, I would practice rotating my water bottles in the cages as I was in the aero position and whenever there was a parking lot during a training session, I would do turn-arounds over and over. You don't realize how the little things can really add up time in a race!
The coaching session with Sarah was just great and I really noticed a big improvement. Early this week I helped another woman with her swimming, in hopes of her doing her first triathlon this year. I can't tell you how much I love helping people, especially if it is within the area of triathlons. So, if you are reading this and need any help...please don't hesitate to ask!
Finished up lots of computer work for the USAT Florida Region and finishing up an article for a newsletter. I must say that I am loving my positition as USAT Florida Region Director and I can't wait to get more involved in the triathlon Community.
Ok everyone, time for me to stop babbling and start being productive...
oh-congrats to my brother and the University of Michigan Gymnastics team who placed 4th at the Pacific Coast Classic Gymnastics meet. Have fun during your training camp in California this week!
And...I want to thank Ray Lake, once again, for an amazing job on the website!