Skip to main content

Happy New Year!

It was a great 2007 but I have a feeling 2008 will be filled with lots of exciting events. I hope everyone enjoyed New Years and I would like to admit that I did stay up until midnight to see the ball drop on TV. I applaud Karel and I for keeping our eyes open until the late hours of the night and sleeping in until 7:30am was a blessing. After several late nights and sleeping-in, I am trying to get back to a routine of going to bed before 10pm and waking up at 5am with a good solid workout. My leg is better but sadly I haven't ridden my bike since Sat. A good couple days of no riding has really done the trick. I hope this is the last time I have to write about my leg and I can get back into a training routine. New years morning was a typical day for Marni who has no training plan. Although I create my own plans w/ me being my own coach, if I'm not training for something I am just clueless on what to do each day. I love exercising but it takes a little extra motivation if I don't have a goal or an upcoming race. I didn't sign up for any races this year because I didn't want to put any stress on the healing of my leg. Trying to make my leg heal for kona was so stressful and I'd rather enjoy my recovery and just keep my heart healthy and jump into a sprint tri when I'm ready. As for now, swimming has been great and I'm able to run/walk (still don't want to run too long w/ the fear of feeling the endorphins and running through the hidden injury). I always tell people to just walk if you don't know what to do or you have no motivation to train. It is the easiest thing to do to get your body going. And I must admit I did just that on New Years.Funny story...Karel planned on riding easy for 90 minutes on Tuesday. As for me, I had no idea what I wanted to do. My leg was so-so but the day prior it had been bothering me. I told Karel I was going to take it easy for a couple days, but you know how that goes when you live with someone who is so passionate for training and pushing hard. As Karel was getting ready I knew I couldn't just sit at home. I called the Y to see if they were open and I planned on swimming a good 2-hour swim workout. Well, I put my suit on and as I'm walking around with a bathing suit and my running shoes (I looked silly) I really felt like running. The bathing suit came off and I decided to walk on the treadmill. Karel told me I could ride with him since he was going easy but I know how that goes...hum, his easy or my easy??? Well, I decided that would be fun to ride together so the running gear came off and the bike jersey and shorts were on. Now I'm walking around in my cycling shoes and I just look at my bike. The one thing I told myself not to do for a couple days in order to rest my leg. I looked at Karel and told him I would just stay at home. What a morning! I dressed for a triathlon in less than 15 minutes and changed my mind at least 3 times on what I would do that morning. I ended up walking and jogging on the treadmill for 90 minutes and luckily, no pain and still feeling good. Thanks goodness I made the right decision!
The weather is cold right now and the wind is blowing. I think tomorrow morning will be another day on the treadmill. Or maybe I'll swim indoors? Oh jeez. I guess I new an injury-recovery, motivation training plan for the New Year! If anything, I'm living vicariously through karel who is training his butt off right now. I'm so excited to see him race this year!
I hope everyone can reflect on last year and look forward to the upcoming year with new goals and aspirations. Have a plan but carry your road map. Always prepare for setbacks and have alternatives for obstacles along the way. And most of all, don't ever give up!