Skip to main content

The lucky shorts




On Friday morning I did my long swim of the week (A new part of my training) and swam a 4000. I felt great and it went by fast because I was accompanied by a group of fast guys for the first hour and therefore I was pushed for the first 3100. On saturday morning I was up around 6am and decided to run/swim for my sat. morning workout. In order to be sure I swam after the run I needed to be at the Y so I wouldn't skip out. It's tough to finish a workout at home and then drive somewhere else to do another workout...I have discipline but not that much on a sat after a long run. I jumped on the treadmill and 7 and the plan was 10 miles (yes Jen H. all on the treadmill and I only read 1 magazine!!). I walked the first 5 minutes and then started running. I had my lucky shorts on (always have good workouts in them) and the entire run felt great. I wouldn't say effortless but I felt really strong and I was doing a few interval sets at 8mph. Again, I felt like I could pick up the pace pretty comfortably and I am running at an average of around 7.4-7.6 mph pretty easy. It is great to finally run pain free again but I think about November when I couldn't even walk for .5 miles. Part of my self-rehab plan was just walking on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes and gripping hard on the side handles so that I could train myself to walk without a limp. OH the pain then from an injury was awful and now I am loving the hard effort workouts and the "earned" pain after working hard. I ran for 1 hour and 30 minutes and covered 11.2 miles. I broke down the workout into 3x30 minute runs and I didn't lose focus once. I had many looks from the Y members that I was on the treadmill for a very long time, but I like that...I like those "she is crazy" looks...it kinda makes me want to run even longer. I finished my gym workout with a few sets of abs on the ball and the captain chair and then it was into the pool for a quick dip. On sat. morning the little kiddies are learning how to swim so I can't help myself to stop every now and then and check out the happy and oh so not happy kidos in the water. I did a 500 swim, 400 pull, 300 swim, 200 fly kick and 100 swim to give me a 1500 and I left the Y for a yummy french toast and eggs breakfast (Marni style...healthy and yummy!). This morning I didn't have the lucky shorts on but the energy of saturday's workout got me pumped for this morning. The plan was a 3 hour ride and a 3 mile run. My first brick since before Kona!!!! I am getting close to Disney (Ironman Florida 70.3) and since I am feeling competitive once again, I am ready to step up the training...and actually start training! The wind changed a lot this morning so I kinda felt it at my side during the whole ride. I finished the ride with 56 miles and quickly put on the running shoes and IM visor and I was out the door. Smudla was a bit upset that i didn't stay home and pet her but I think she will forgive me :) The first mile was a little tough cause I was running a bit slow to try to find a rhythm but then I got into a groove and ended up running 4 miles at an average of 8 min and 30 sec. And after a yummy breakfast I am about to start studying for my two exams tomorrow :(
So the running shorts worked out well for me this weekend and I am really happy that I am back into the groove. Karel is out in Perry, GA and he raced twice yesterday. Instead of doing the 10-mile TT he decided to race in the Masters Crit (30+) as a warm-up before the Pro 1,2 race a few hours later. I'm super happy for Karel because he earned a spot on the podium for his 3rd place finish in the masters race....great job Karel!!!! And after a quick recovery drink and lunch he was back again for the Pro 1,2 race. Karel's teammate Curtis placed 5th and Karel was 16th. A few of the other Linder Capital guys were in the mix as well but after over 100 miles of racing (between 2 races) for Karel I think he should be happy for a 3rd and 16th place finish. Right now he is racing another 100 miles for the road race. Now this isn't any normal road race...this race is on red dirt and clay and is totally a suffer fest for 100 miles. I will take a pic of his bike when he gets back late this evening. This race is similar to the Roubaix race in Paris, France but instead this is the Perry Ga Roubaix :)