Skip to main content

Karel the Baker!




Last night I came home from class around 9:50pm and saw a bag of groceries on the counter. Karel went to the store for the weekly food necessities but came home with baking ingredients. Well, since I'm not a baker I thought this would be great that he would cook and I could eat! I had to wait until today to enjoy the muffins and might I say these were YUMMY muffins. Totally healthy and around 120 calories. Karel found the recipe on the side of a Raisin Bran (generic) cereal box. These would be perfect for after a long weekend workout or 1/2 of one for a snack with some yogurt (or other protein). I had one with my lunch today...I just couldn't resist! How could I not try Karel's first attempt at making muffins! Well, to make things even better Karel made some substitions to make them even healthier and they taste great! I'm so lucky to have someone in my life who is not only aware of my healthy habits (woman and a vegetarian) but has taken the time to learn how to eat like an athlete and as a health-conscious person.
Here is the recipe with our substitions. In parentheses is what the recipe called for...still healthy, but we cut out a lot of fat, sugar and calories.
1 1/2 cups Raisin Bran cereal
1 cup milk
1/4 cup natural, no sugar added applesauce + 1 tbsp olive oil (instead of 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 1 /2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp light brown sugar (instead of 3/4 cup sugar)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin cooking pan w/ cooking spray (makes 15-18 muffins). Combine cereal, milk, applausauce, eggs and vanilla. Let stand for 10 min. Stir to break cereal, stir in apples and wanuts. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in seperate bowl. Add cereal mixture to flour mixture and stir until moistened. Spoon into pans and bake for 16-18 minutes.



For dinner tonight, I made myself a really yummy meal. Everything seemed to taste so good. After a morning of intervals, I guess anything would be yummy in my tummy. I had a piece of onion matzah (I know, a bit early for passover) w/ garlic hummus on it and it tasted so good with my egg beaters, tofu, mushrooms and corn. The tofu and eggs are typical ingredients in my vegetarian dinner meals. I also had a salad w/ carrots and cottage cheese.