Skip to main content

Somewhere around #20, my arms fell off

"Earn your turkey Tuesday" or for me, "Earn my sweet potatoes"

This morning at swimming we had a change in our typical workout regime. Rather than doing sets, our coach Lindsey decided that we would do 100's all practice long. The practice started at 6am and ended whenever we needed (or wanted) to get out. I normally stay in until 7:15 (depending on the set).
Lindsey had us pick an interval and then it was time to repeat 100's.
I picked the 1:30 cycle, but in order to change things up, I did:
3 x 100's on 1:30
3 x 100's on 1:40.
This broke up the monotony of swimming and swimming and swimming...like nemo would say.
After 2 sets of my 6x100's, I was ready for a break. However, I found it hard to stop. I kept telling myself just to get in 3 more fast ones. But then when I finished the 1:30 cycle I wanted to do the 3x100's on 1:40 to relax a bit. Finally, at #20 I took a "social" break and did a 100 kick. Then back to the 100's.
By 7am most people had gotten out of the pool but I was determined to get to #40.
When I got to #28 I kept telling myself that I only had 2 more sets to go. After 6 more, I had no more arms and my shoulders were struggling to reach and roll. I kept thinking about my form since the cycle wasn't very hard, but after swimming continuously for over an hour, I was ready to get the last 6 over with! 3 more, 2 more, 1 more. FINISHED!
But...
I didn't want to stop at #40. I wanted to do more, even though my arms did not.
I ended up doing 5 more by alternating kick, backstroke, kick, backstroke, kick, swim/cool-down.
I ended up doing 45x100's in 1 hour and 15 min. I only stopped for 1 minute after #21 and then the last 5 were on no cycle. I just gave myself a few seconds rest. The 4500 went by pretty fast but then again, it must be the Ironman mentality. Lindsey told me that many people found the set really, really, really boring. Not me! :)

After the swim I walked on the treadmill for a few miles (for the second day in a row) to rest my legs. I am taking my race on Thursday really seriously and attempting to taper my legs as much as possible. Tomorrow I will do some intervals on the treadmill to warm myself up.

I wanted to post these pics....
Campy is just the luckiest dog in the world. We love him so much! Karel thought Campy was cold so he bundled him up when we were watching a movie the other night :)






And this is our Chiclet fish. She has never done this before! We woke up on monday morning and although the fish were still sleeping, the timer on the tank came on and we found Chiclet resting in her "bed". We've never had a fish sleep on a shell before. *No, she isn't dead.