Skip to main content

Marathon legs

There has been no running this week. Some long walks with campy and short walks on the treadmill but that is it. I felt a little twinge in my right hip and I want to be a smart athlete rather than a stubborn athlete. 1-2 weeks of no running is much better than 1-2 months of no training.
So, in order to keep myself sane, I have been spending plenty of time in the water and on my bike. The legs are still tired but my heart feels good. On Monday morning I did nothing and even though I was exhausted, I didn't sleep very well. I ended up on the couch because I was tossing and turning all night.
On Tuesday I joined a few people in the pool for a quick 4000 yard workout. There was just a few of us in the pool because our coach was out of town but the workout went by really fast.
On wed. I joined Karel for a nice 30 mile ride and ot was a bit obvious that I was tired. Karel kept asking me how my marathon legs were feeling and I just gave him a quick answer "ouch". But, it was good to get on my bike and spin my legs.
After cooking and baking all day, Karel and I had a great x-mas dinner. After we lit the menorah for hannukah, we opened a few gifts for x-mas. Karel and I prepare a great dinner of all his families traditional foods and I even challenge myself in the kitchen with some homemade bread (vanochka = european christmas bread).
On Thursday Karel went mountain biking at hannah park and I went on my road bike for a 40 mile ride. Then on Friday I went for a swim (4000) and I was impressed I stayed in the water for so long, even though I was alone in my lane.
On Friday evening KArel, Campy and I headed to my parents to stay for a few days. MY aunt, uncle, cousin and brother are visiting so it is great to be with family.
As for this morning, my marathon legs are pooped. Karel and I joined the Gearlinkers for a 16 mile time trial. I ended up last, even though I started 3rd out of about 25 people. I really pushed hard but the wind and my marathon legs made for a suffer fest out there. Karel and I ended up with 50 miles and the last 10 (warm down home) were just brutal. Annoyed at the wind and super hungry, it seemed as if my parents house was 100 miles away.
Well, time to head to the International Mall for lunch. I am actually looking forward to not cooking and ordering some good food at a great deli :)