Skip to main content

2009

Every year I take a little time to reflect. I always look back on the past year and remember all the good times, experiences and important moments in my life.
I had a few great moments in 2008. Most importantly, I got married to my best friend and my partner for life. Of course Karel and I love riding our bikes, watching anything tri or cycling related on TV and traveling to races together but our similar lifestyles are just one of the many similarities that we share. I think 2008 was great in so many ways because Karel and I were able to travel, move to a new place and start a new life together.
2008 was also great because Campy came into our lives. It was an odd story of how we got him but now I don't know how we went so long without him in our life. We are just so lucky to have such a loving dog who wakes up every morning wanted to live life to the fullest.
2008 was great because I raced injury-free and I had a lot of fun. I didn't take any race too seriously and the hard work I put into training made for an exciting race year. No big races but enough important races (and a few PR's) to remember.
2008 was great because I went back to school. I put it off for a year (2007) but 2008 was the time when I decided to would pursue my RD.
Speaking of school, this brings me to 2009.
I am SO excited for 2009! I think this is going to be the best year ever.
For so many reasons, I think I will remember 2009.
Most importantly, I will be finished with school by Dec. 2009. That's right, no more school FOR EVER for me when 2010 comes. If all goes well, I will have my certificate for my RD internship and after applying for internships in the fall I should start my internship in January. If I don't get into my two internships of choice (Mayo clinic is number 1) in Jan I will probably wait and re-apply in the spring. But either way, I will have no more classes to take (or pay for) come 2010!
2009 is also bringing another IM for me. IMKY in august and I can't wait! It will be hard training to get me to my peak but I am prepared to make the effort to prepare my body and train 100%.
I am also working with a coach this year. Shawn Burke of Velocity multisport (VMS coaching) will help me reach my goals this year. Shawn is not only Karel's coach but he is an amazing athlete. I think I bragged about him already for racing in Kona and then racing IMFL a few weeks later and re-qualifying for Kona for 09.
Because I dream big, I have several goals (which I have had for many years) which will not come in 2009. Just to name a few, I want to write a book, I want to be on the Ellen show (that is my ultimate dream), I want to be on the Today show and I want to have a show on the food network. Yes, big dreams but I am not afraid of rejection. I've always been a go-getter and I like to work hard. My way of working hard has been pursuining a few degrees and certifications in order to have the right credentials to be taken seriously. Sure a bachelor degree is great but I thought a master degree would be better. Well, know I have learned that an RD and MS (registered dietitian and master of science degree) would set me apart from others in the sports nutrition world. So, with all this hard work in 2009 I can't wait to help others in the realm of sports nutrition and weight loss.
I haven't thought much about a resolution but I want to continue to enjoy each day to the fullest. Campy helps me with that because I can't seem to have a bad day when I come home and see him smiling at me in my car from our 3rd floor bedroom window. Also, Karel is so happy at his work and being the general manager of the Trek store has been the best job for him. I think we have a lot to be thankful for and a lot to appreciate in 2009.
Have a great year!
From Marni, Karel, Campy.....


And Smudla