Skip to main content

Recipe!

I thought I would take a break from questions (more to come next week!) and post a few meals that I have created in the past week. Enjoy!

Healthy Pot Pie

I was feeling a little creative the other day. I wanted to use a package of reduced fat croissant rolls that I have had in the fridge for a while. Usually I use the dough for croissants w/ jelly but this time I wanted to make a meal for Karel.
I thought about doing a croissant bread pizza but I've done that before. So I made this recipe up as I went along. You can use whatever lean meat you choose for the inside and for my vegeterians you can use veggie meat or tofu.

Ingredients:
*1 package reduced fat pillsbury (or generic brand) croissants (usually by the eggs and cream cheese in the grocery)
*1 cup low sodium vegetable soup
*Lean meat (I used 96% fat-free, low sodium Deli Ham for Karel)
*Veggies: Chickpeas,peas, corn (about 1/4-1/3 cup of each. You can use frozen veggies. Beans can be substituted for chickpeas)
*1-2 clove garlic (chopped)
*Cheese
*1 tbsp. Olive Oil
*Seasonings: Cayenne pepper, chili flakes, pepper

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cook veggie mixture and garlic(you can use whatever veggies you want) on a non-stick pan w/ 1 tbsp. olive oil. Cook on medium heat for about 10 min. (stir occasionally). Turn off heat and add lean deli meat or tofu).
3) After draining soup from can, pour 1 cup of vegetable soup in veggie mixture. Stir in soup. Add seasonings (cayenne pepper, chili flakes and pepper). Leave pan covered.
4) Open croissants and use 3/4ths of the package. DO NOT roll out the dough!
5) Spray a cooking pan w/ Pam (2-3 quick sprays).
6) Lay dough on pan. Use fingers tips and palm of hand to spread out dough. You may want to spray you hands with Pam (1 squirt) to prevent dough from sticking (take off your rings!).
7) Cut dough in half.
8) Slowly spoon veggie mixtur/soup mixture on the middle of the dough until most of the dough is covered.
9) Top w/ 1 slice cheese (or 1/8 cup shredded cheese)
10) Use other piece of dough to cover veggie mixture. Press down edges with fork.
11) Bake for 10-15 min or until the bottom gets a little brown and top feels firm. If your oven has a broil setting, switch to broil after 10-15 min and broil for an additional 2-3 minutes until top is slightly brown.







Croissants

Since I didn't use the entire package of croissants, in order to save calories (yes-Karel ate the entire pot pie and asked if that was it...even with a large fruit, veggie and nut dark green salad.) I wanted to use the rest of the dough for desert. You can use whatever low sugar or sugar free jelly you want (I like grape and strawberry. Smuckers makes a reduced sugar strawberry jelly in a squeezable container which is a bit cheaper than the jar of low sugar jelly). I added nuts and dark chocolate chips ontop of the jelly. You fold the croissant from the bottom part of the triangle toward the pointed top.
I cooked the jelly-filled croissants at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Check around 10 minutes so that you don't burn your croissants. You will know they are ready when the top is golden brown. The jelly may run out when the croissant is finished cooking. I had a little extra dough so I made a nice breadstick that I snacked on with my dinner salad.
Enjoy!
*Who said that healthy eating has to be boring???