Skip to main content

Future internship

Karel, Campy and I made a quick trip to visit my parents in New Port Richey. We left on Tuesday evening around 5:30 and 4 hours later, we arrived at my parents. Campy was super excited to be at his castle (aka-a real house) and I was really looking forward to Wednesday.
I didn't get into the Mayo Clinic dietetic internship last September...which is ok. I have my eyes set on really competitive internships so I don't foresee it being easy to start a dietetic internship anytime soon. I'd go into the details about applying for a dietetic internship but it can be a bit complicated. To make it simple, you first find an accredited ADA dietetic internship (there is only 1 in Jacksonville but a few more in Florida). You can only apply if you have met the requirements (which I did back in August 2009). Then you apply either in Sept or February for the January or August internship. Some internships cost money (Mayo $7000) and some give stipends. Some internships are 6-8 months and some are 12 months. You register for a matching website ($50) and then after you send in your application to your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice internships you wait to see if you get a phone interview. After a phone interview you will be matched in either April or November for the upcoming internship.
The Mayo Clinic took 3 interns out of hundreds of applicants. I was not one of them but that's ok. Life goes on and I have slowed down since. If anything, I think it was a good thing because I have really focused more on my priorities and career goals in terms of dietetics.

My two choices for the upcoming August internship (application due in February) are Bay Pines VA
Tampa VA

After visiting both internships on Wednesday I am excited to choose Tampa as my #1 choice, followed by Bay Pines. However, I would be really excited to get into either one. I met the directors of both programs and they are both really nice. Both facilities are HUGE and absolutely amazing. It was just a great experience to see the hospitals and to imagine myself working in a VA, just like my dad. My dad has 35 years with the VA as an optometrist and he loves every day of work. I guess the VA is just in the "Rakes" blood.

Since my blog readers are my biggest supporters...here are the links to the two VA's for you to learn more about the dietetic internships that I am applying for:

Tampa VA

Bay Pines VA


Each 11-month internship takes 6 people. I would move from Jacksonville for the year but I'm sure the time will go by fast. I am thrilled about the rotations that are offered in each internship and the amount of learning that I will do in 11 short months. It was will be hard and challenging but I am prepared for the experience.
I've been working on my application letter for a few weeks now and I hope to finish my packet this weekend.
Here's what I need to answer in my application letter:
* professional goals
* reasons the applicant chose the profession of Dietetics
* reasons the applicant chose this internship program
* reasons the applicant feels he/she should be selected over other applicants

It's tough stuff to figure out exactly the right thing to say to make yourself stand out in a pile of 200+ other applicants.