Skip to main content

Pizza & Pasta - vegetarian and waist-line friendly

I love re-creating recipes. More like, re-creating meals. As athletes, we are all bound to crave x-food every now and then and I don't believe in feeling guilty or restricted when it comes to food....especially when I work so hard with my training because I am 100% committed to being the best athlete I can be. Having said that, I am 100% committed to putting the best nutrients in my body in an effort to perform well, improve with my training, stay healthy and prevent injury or disease. Simply put, I don't exercise so I can eat. I eat for fuel.

Since we all need to exercise (I encourage 60 minutes a day although recommendations are 30-60 min. of moderate intense activity a day) for a healthy life, it doesn't really matter if you are training for an event or just exercising for fitness or for fun...you are still working out, burning calories and hopefully, getting stronger. So, if you are physically pushing your body on a daily basis and you are normal it's likely that you enjoy a "reward" every now and then for your hard effort.

This morning when I came back home from my 2 1/2 hr tempo bike....
Karel's main set for me:
3 min LT watts (get the HR up and get the legs going
Right into 20 min on, 10 min off, 30 min on, 10 min off, 20 min on, 10 min off (all at specific watts and cadence for the on intervals and off)

When I was preparing my smoothie I saw a commercial on TV, promoting this gourmet burger. Let me introduce you to Wendy's Bacon and Blue Burger.


First off, thank goodness I am a vegetarian.
Secondly, this burger is not even appetizing enough for me to even try a "creation" with this recipe. I guess I could do soy bacon, a veggie burger, blue cheese and a whole wheat bun but when it comes down to it, where's the balance in this meal? 1 slice tomato and 1 piece iceberg lettuce????
Seriously????
Sorry folks, you will not see a Marni-creation for the Bacon and Blue burger on this blog.

According to Wendy's healthy options page (http://www.wendys.com/food/healthy-options.jsp)
At Wendy's, we believe in nutritious options.
At Wendy's, we believe in choice. Choice in toppings. Choice in dressings. And the choice to select from a wide variety of nutritious options.


Well, forget the 550 calorie or less menu. The Bacon and Blue burger has 680 calories and 40 grams of fat. With 15grams of saturated fat, you can eat 75% of your daily saturated fat in one sitting.

Here's the nutrition facts (taken from http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/2010/02/wendy-bacon-blue-burger.html):


Well, at least Wendy's offers Healthy Options. So, as you are filling your arteries with fat, Wendy's encourages you to pass on the small fries (330 calories, 16g fat) and ask for a side salad, baked potato, chili, mandarin oranges or Caesar salad. And while you are at it, to be super health-conscious, you should probably order a Diet Coke to save calories. Heaven forbid you order a Large Ice Tea with your Bacon and Blue Burger. A large Iced Tea at 190 calories and 48 grams sugar will certainly throw you off your quest to fill your body with healthy foods.

So, all kidding aside...isn't this meal ridiculous?

As a vegetarian, I really have no desire to eat fast-food because my options are slim and I'd rather prepare and eat my meals at home (or ahead of time). Even when Karel and I travel (which is usually 2-3 times a month from March - June) I have such a hard time finding enjoyment in ordering food on the road. I'd rather save my money, enjoy a piece of bread w/ natural PB and walnuts, alongside a baggy of carrots and an apple from my travel cooler, order a Frosty at Wendy's or a Parfait at McD's for my "occasional" treat and call it a meal.

Here are two yummy and healthy ways to enjoy your favorite restaurant-style meals in your own house. Not only will you save money (and time) but you will feel satisfied with your healthy creation.
Enjoy!




Veggies served w/ Pasta

Serves 2
2 tsp olive oil
1 large zucchini (sliced)
2 large roma tomato (sliced)
8 baby carrots (cut into 4 thin slices)
1-2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/4 cup corn
1/8 cup onions (chopped)
1-2 tsp of Basil and Marjoram (seasoning)
2 ounces pasta (equals 1 cup cooked pasta)

1. On a non-stick pan, cook veggies in olive oil on low heat for 10 minutes or until soft and lightly brown. Turn off burner and cover.
2. While veggies are cooking, add pasta to a pot of boiling water. Reduce heat and cook until pasta is to your liking (8-12 minutes). Drain immediately.
3. Place 1/2 cup cooked pasta (110 calories) in a large bowl and top with veggies.





























Frozen cheese pizza w/ a healthy vegetarian twist
1 (cheap) frozen cheese pizza (look for the lowest calorie option)
Toppings:
Corn
Chickpeas
Tofu
Onion
Broccoli
Zucchini
Garlic
Spinach
Green pepper
Crushed pineapple
Mushrooms

1. Preheat oven according to package of frozen pizza.
2. Layer toppings (the higher the better!)
3. Cook for 20-40 min or according to package (may need additional minutes over recommendation, due to extra toppings)































Before (BORING!!)













After (YUMMY!!!)