Skip to main content

Worth the Wait

I've waited 2 1/2 months to write this blog and now I don't know what to say.
I'm speechless (or wordless). Nothing can describe the feeling of getting something new.........

especially when it is a new bike.

My typical off-season training (especially after my last LONG race) involves a lot of road biking. After Ironman Kentucky in Aug, I hung my tri-bike (Black Hawk) on the wall and my road bike and me did a lot of riding. I was ready to ride my Black Hawk towards the end of Jan (craving my aerobars) but unfortunately, my Black Hawk was sold a few days before X-mas. However, shortly after x-mas, Trek came out with the first ever Carbon WSD (women specific design) Tri bike.

Karel was super excited to get me on a Trek, considering that my small size (I'm 5 feet "short") is very hard to fit on a tri bike. My options are really small because I feel most comfortable with 700 wheels (rather than 650's). Therefore, I have to have a frame small enough for my size but a seat that will go down enough to let me reach the pedals.

Well, I let Karel do what he loves to do and find me a bike.
Since we were able to sell my Black Hawk for a great price, we decided to "go big or go home" and build a Project One.

Trek offers Project One bikes which are custom bikes, built just for you. You design the bike, the paint scheme (if you want a custom paint job, it is more money), the components, etc.

Karel and I picked out the custom paint job and I let Karel do the rest. The sad part....we waited and waited and waited for the bike to be built. Because the bikes are made in the US at the Trek factory (Wisconsin) and are hand built and hand painted, it takes a lot of time.

But finally....TriMarni came! How exciting, I even have my name on my bike.

Karel and I love the bike. For me, it fits perfectly. I love everything about it. Compared to my road bike, it turns really smoothly. It is a soft ride and the bike is just so comfortable for me. I absolutely love it and I can't believe it is mine.
Although biking is gradually becoming my favorite sport (I think I love all 3 sports - swim, bike, run equally) I never thought that I would have a bike like this. Since Karel is the true cyclist, I always felt as if he should get the "latest and greatest". I just love to train and race and to me, it doesn't really matter what I ride so long as it is safe and reliable....and it fits. I feel really lucky that Karel wants the best for me (especially when it comes to cycling) and I really appreciate all of his time and effort to build this bike for me (he built it in a few hours), fit me on it and add the last minute details on it.

I hope you enjoy TriMarni as much as I do!!
*if you have questions about the specifics of the bike or other Trek bikes, just leave a comment and I will ask my bike mechanic :)