Skip to main content

Crust-less Pizza and more exciting races

I hope you aren't bored with all of my posts about Speed Week. Karel has two more races to go!!! We are currently in Charlotte NC. Last night we were in Spartenburg, SC., today is Dilworth, NC. and tomorrow is Sandy Springs, GA! I have a feeling on Mon I will be officially tired of traveling and ready to get back to my normal routine.
As for the racing, so far he is on fire and has finished every race around mid-pack. Last night in Spartenburg Karel finished 37 out of 86 finishers (137 starters) which was his best finish yet.
His legs are also on fire due to the crazy fast racing. Each race starts around 7:30pm and lasts around 90 minutes. Karel's recovery has been great and I am super proud of his effort and for staying with guys who are racing on a team and bring home a bike salary every month/week. Every night this week he goes to bed dreaming about tight turns, dodging crashes and sprinting and wakes up only to do it all again the next day. And for every race, if he can just get through the first 20 min. of pure pain and torture, he can get into a zone and feel somewhat comfortable with the suffer-fest. He says the first part of the race, starting at 0% and going to 110%, is just the worst feeling.

The best part of this whole trip is going to see my friend Christi in Charlotte. We LOVE where she lives and loving the training in NC. This morning I went for a great hilly bike ride followed by a hilly run. I'm really looking forward to a recovery week next week because I am just pooped with all of my training outside of Florida. I sure love hills but my body is ready to catch up on sleep and get back to a normal routine.

Campy is also super excited about the trip to NC. He gets to see his buddy Milo!!! Campy loves it when Milo chases him (guess who wins :)



One thing I love when I travel is pizza!! Ok, I love pizza all of the time. It's been a few years since I've ordered delivery pizza (I think 2006 was the last time) but I can think of several times in the past year when I've ordered a scrumptious slice of super yummy thin crust veggie-topped pizza (light on the cheese) at a restaurant.
When I make pizza at home, I just love the combination of flavors when I pile on the veggies and I especially love marinara sauce on bread. However, just like with any meal that I enjoy on the road or in a restaurant, I think it is the taste that I enjoy so much and not necessarily how it is served. Therefore, I can still enjoy "pizza" even when it isn't shaped in a triangle and doesn't have a delicious crust. Of course, a pizza isn't a pizza without the crust (and I do LOVE the crunch of thin crust pizza) but sometimes you just have to be a little creative when you are craving cheese, marinara sauce and veggies.

Here's my crust-less vegetable "pizza". Perfect in the evening after a long day. I've served this meal in several ways and I find that a small whole grain pita, a piece of 100% whole wheat bread or brown rice go great with this "pizza" if your body is in need of some whole grains.

Jalepenos
Chickpeas
Corn
Black beans
Onions
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Marinara Sauce
Spices (Italian, Chili flakes, basil)
Garlic
Shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all veggies (you can add diced lean meat or tofu/veggie burger) in casserole dish.
3. Top with spoonfuls of marinara sauce and a little sprinkle of cheese
4. Bake for 20-30 min. or until veggies turn golden brown.