Skip to main content

Zucchini casserole and pineapple spinach salad

I LOVE summer time food! But as much as I love the variety of fruits and veggies at great prices..... my grocery bill has gone up!!! Of course, rather than spending money on ice cream, soda's, chips, frozen pizza, lemonade and other popular summer time treats, Karel and I are going through our produce like crazy!!! In addition to going through a gallon of skim milk every 4-5 days and at least 10 low-fat yogurts a week, it's not cheap feeding two endurance athletes in the summer. However, I wouldn't think twice about buying fruits and veggies because based on how we feel on a daily basis, I love our diet of wholesome and nutrient-rich foods.
Of course, I still buy on sale (finally...a carton of blueberries at wal-mart are less than $3!) and try to shop in season.
I hope you enjoy my latest creation...talk about loads of nutrition in a casserole!!!

Zucchini casserole
1 zucchini (shredded)
1/2 medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 large carrots (peeled and shredded)
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white beans
3 roma tomatoes (chopped)
1/4 cup instant oats

Pepper, basil and cumin spices

1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a little nonstick spray on a casserole dish.
2. Combine all ingredients and stir well.
3. Spoon into casserole dish and press down with spatula.
4. Cook for 25-35 min or until casserole is crispy brown on top.






Pineapple Spinach Salad
Spinach
Fresh Pineapple
Fresh Strawberries
Fresh Chives
Carrots
Cucumbers