Skip to main content

Fruity Stuffed french toast ...for dinner


Lemonade, watermelon, cereal, french toast, pretzels, chex mix, ice cream, shaved ice, water....

What are your training cravings???


These are my Ironman Cravings. I am not sure if my body just knows that I am training for an Ironman or if it is the weather, but these cravings always occur somewhere during my Ironman training.

It's day 3 of my Ironman training and I'm feeling great....aside from the 95+ degree temps here in Florida.

Monday was a 4000 yrd. aerobic swim with long sets (2000 straight, 1500 straight) to get my mind and body excited for the 2.4 mile IM swim.
Tuesday I had a 90 min - 2 hr bike workout w/ an interval workout given to me from Karel/cycling coach. The set didn't look hard on paper so I asked Karel "That's it?" and he laughed. He said "just do it and then let me know what you think".
The under/over set: 2 min @ 5 watts below VO2 max, 1 min 5 watts above VO2 Max, 2 min @ 5 watts below VO2 max, 1 min 5 watts above VO2 Max. 5 min easy spin, 5 min tempo and repeat set. Thank goodness that was it!! After my 32 mile ride it was time for the run.
As my first run since the Rock N' Roll half on June 5th, I have to say that I was feeling good. Recovery always does wonders for the body and I believe that recovery does make the body stronger. Although hot as ever (I could sure use aid stations on my brick workouts!) I really enjoyed my run (which was followed by a walk with Campy and LOTS OF WATER).
Run stats:
3.32 miles, 25 min
7:34 min/mile pace
Mile 1: 7:32
Mile 2: 7:33
Mile 3: 7:31
.3 jog easy
Wednesday's workout started super early, despite a thunderstorm that kept waking us up (except for Campy who doesn't mind the thunder). I was up at 4:30 and got on the treadmill at 5:10am.
I was joined by my friend Mallory on the treadmill next to me (she did her own workout but kept me company) and my main set was as follows:
4x's:
2 min 8mph, 1 min 8.5 mph (1.5% incline for it all)
2 min recovery 7.5mph
The set went by fast and 6 miles later (48 min) I was done and ready for some strength, core and stretching. Typically I would do this after my swim but I was all sweaty and not in the mood to do anything after swim, so I went ahead and did a small circuit of endurance strength and core.
Mallory and I headed to the pool and I enjoyed myself for a 4000 yrd swim.

As for these cravings, I do not excuse myself from my healthy and balanced diet "just because" I am training for an Ironman. In an effort to train for the Ironman (or any event) proper nutrition, nutrient timing/recovery nutrition, sleep, strength training and stretching/flexibility are all critical components. Training for an event isn't just about putting in the miles. It's about preparing for the miles, executing the miles at your full potential and recovering from the miles.
I could only imagine myself abandoning my personal nutrition habits (which I've worked really hard to develop over the past 3-5 years) just because I was craving donuts. Or, could you imagine if Karel came home from work and asked "What's for dinner?" and I poured him a bowl of cereal.

I don't believe that we should see food as reward food but rather food that will enhance performance, fitness or health rather than sabotage performance, fitness or health. Having said this, restriction, guilt and obsession are not words in my vocabulary and I hope that you are working hard to learn how to avoid using these words (or feeling these words) in your daily lifestyle, especially when it comes to nutrition.

If you experience a craving, learn how to incorporate that food into your diet as an "additional" part of an already healthy meal or snack. The key is to learn how to have a balanced and healthy diet that will minimize cravings, prevent overeating and will foster more energy throughout the day. More so, learn how to satisfy this craving on occasion. If you find yourself occasionally eating a cookie from Panera 1-2 times a month, alongside a veggie-filled omelet, congrats on keeping your diet balanced and healthy. If you find yourself occasionally eating a cookie every afternoon around 3pm, because you worked out hard in the morning, it would be wise to find a replacement for that cookie (ex. fruits or veggies) on most days of the week and perhaps 1 day a week, having 1/2 of the cookie with Greek yogurt as a snack.

Life is about balance...just like nutrition and training. If you are an athlete, do not feel as if you are eating just to fuel your workouts, you are also fueling your lifestyle.

Last night Karel was at the beach for a group ride and I was making dinner for two, but eating alone. I wanted French Toast but I knew that I needed more and I wouldn't be satisfied with French Toast and a little eggs.
Here's how I settled my French Toast cravings w/ my normal vegetarian foods on the side......I think I covered all the food groups in this meal.
Enjoy my latest creation!


Fruity Stuffed French Toast

1 sandwich thin
*1 slice whole grain bread - from Panera as seen in the picture for Karel)
3 eggs (1 whole egg, 2 egg whites) + skim milk (about 1/8-1/4 cup)
*1 additional egg for Karel's dish
Fruit: Strawberries and blueberries
Green beans (fresh from my preceptor's garden)
Veggies - tomato, chickpea, garlic
1 tsp olive oil
Spices: Cinnamon and curry
Optional: wheat germ

1. Toast sandwich thin. While toasting, scramble eggs and milk.
2. Heat a large pan to medium heat and spray w/ a little non-stick spray.
3. Dip inside of each sandwich thin in eggs (lightly) and cook for a minute.
4. Flip each sandwich thin over on the pan and on one thin, place a few sliced strawberries and sliced blueberries. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Cover the fruit with the other thin and press down.
6. Use a ladle and spoon 1 ladle-full of egg mixture (from bowl) over the stuffed bread.
7. After 90 sec - 2 min (or until eggs on pan are slightly cooked), gently flip over sandwich (Hold the top as you are flipping with a spatula) to cook the other side.

*As the sandwich is cooking, cook chickpeas, garlic and tomato in olive oil on medium heat until veggies are semi golden brown. Cook green beans as you like.
(I had leftover corn, onions and chicken from another dinner that I added to Karel's veggies)
*For a thicker slice of bread, toast bread and cut almost the entire bread in half w/ a serrated knife. Stuff w/ cinnamon and fruit and dip into egg mixture (in a big bowl). Cook both sides until golden.
*Cook extra eggs on pan and scramble (or make an omelet for your veggies).
*Top each french toast w/ a little wheat germ.