Skip to main content

Last First Day!

Today was my first day of my clinical rotation. For the next 2 weeks and for 3 weeks in January, I will be spending time at a few nursing homes for my Long Term Care rotation. I haven't fully looked over my modules and assignments but I know this rotation is going to keep me extremely busy. Lots of papers, assignments, projects, etc. Oh yes, the life of a dietetic intern. I know the finish line is coming soon and I can't wait to soak up as much info as I can in the next 14 weeks.
After looking at my quiz schedule for the next 4 months, I know I have some heavy-duty learning to do...
Quiz 1: Diabetes
Quiz 2: CVD
Quiz 3: Gastrointestinal
Quiz 4: Nutritional support
Quiz 5: Cerebral Accidents and HIV
Quiz 6: Pediatric
Quiz 7: Renal
Quiz 8: Liver
Quiz 9: Metabolic Stress
Final!

Karel and I took a quick weekend trip to Washington DC this past weekend. With 3 days of no working out, we are completely exhausted. So much walking, despite a bit of metro riding. The wind was brutal and it was cold!! (although, we came home to freezing temps in Jacksonville, FL).
We had the opportunity to stay with some new friends whom I met on Facebook. We attended a Czech Xmas party on Sat evening with the Czech society in DC. It was fantastic for Karel to be around so many Czechs and I haven't seen him so happy to talk Czech in such a long time. The food was great for Karel, bringing back so many childhood memories. Even for me, they had some great Marni-friendly foods. And as usual, I just LOVE the Czech desert cookies. I can't wait til Karel's mom sends us our yearly x-mas box, full of homemade cookies!
The children sang songs and were greeted by St. Nicholas (Czech tradition). Karel loved the beer selection and reminded him of his home in Znojmo. After a few museum trips and a quick stop at the USDA-United States Department of Agriculture (being the good future RD that I am), we went to the Czech embassy in DC on MOn to pick up Karel's Czech passport. We've waited a long time for it and finally....we can travel to Czech! Perhaps we need to wait a bit to save some money for our big trip to Czech but we can't wait!

Early this morning, before I left for my first day of interning, I made a quick detox salad (the salad has nothing to do with detoxing) to fill my body with some yummy vegetables. Karel and I enjoyed our time in Washington DC but it is always nice to be back home, back to the every-day diet. As always-if you eat well most of the time, you don't have to worry about the rest of the time. :)

Detox salad-perfect after a trip away from home
Carrots
Spinach
Green Peppers
Broccoli
Peanuts
Veggie Burger (heated and then crumbled)
Chives
Olive oil + balsamic dressing (homemade)
Leftover rice + lentil mix