Skip to main content

Tofu and Pineapple salad

Karel just sent me my last BIG build before Kona. Yesterday was a lovely day off from structured training and it included hip exercises, stretching and 3 LONG walks with Campy. Today I had a wonderful swim which followed a moderate intensity strength training session (around 20 minutes). My body is feeling good (much better than a few days ago) and I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. I have been staying super busy throughout the day so I find myself welcoming my training as it is a time to clear my mind and brainstorm.
Tonight I will be speaking at the Trek Store of Jacksonville (San Jose location) for an event that is open to the public, but is also the monthly Hammerhead Triathlon Club meeting. I am so excited to speak to so many triathletes and future triathletes/runners :)

A common thought that continues to pop into my head is the idea that I am a vegetarian training for the Ironman World Championships. Certainly I don't feel that I am healthy because I don't eat meat but rather that I have good health because of the many foods that I DO eat in my diet. I still try to introduce new foods into my diet but I don't put pressure on myself that I have to be perfect when it comes to eating wholesome foods. Several times in the last few weeks I have thought to myself "Wow- my body is fueled by plants!" How cool is that! Perhaps it doesn't get you excited but I sure do get excited when I think about the wonderful vitamins and minerals that I provide my body on a daily basis. As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I do not skimp on my protein (and calcium), specifically from eggs, cheese and dairy (yogurt and milk), whole grains and healthy fats - which are also important components of my balance diet to support my training and my health.

The other day I had lunch with a good friend who is about to participate in his first Ironman (IMWI). We ate at Native Sun (which he owns) and we had lunch while talking about all things related to IMWI. I tried to do my best to prepare him mentally for the course (as he is super fit and was well-trained with a great coach/friend - Shawn Burke from VMS). I tried to give a few extra tips from my experience with IMWI in 2010 and of course, get him excited as he is about to embark on the most life-changing day that he will never forget.
Fueled by plants was all that I was thinking as I told the lady behind the counter "I'll have everything!" while she was making my salad. The coolest thing about the salad was that she used a pizza cutter to "toss" my salad - can't wait to try that at home!!
I am surprised I did so much talking at lunch because my salad was absolutely delicious...I had to stop and take a picture!





















When I left Native Sun I picked up a magazine (better nutrition - the shopping magazine for natural living Sept 2011) and saw a great article on CLEAN CUISINE (pg. 30-31). Here's a list about the CLEAN 15 - according to FOODNEWS.org, the following are the 15 "cleanest" crops, which are grown using the fewest pesticides.
1. Onions
2. Corn
3. Pineapples
4. Avocado
5. Asparagus
6. Sweet Peas
7. Mangoes
8. Eggplant
9. Cantaloupe
10. Kiwi
11. Cabbage
12. Watermelon
13. Sweet potatoes
14. Grapefruit
15. Mushrooms

No need to fear fresh produce - always give a good wash/scrub, even if the fruit/veggie has a peel that you don't plan on eating.

I hope you enjoy my latest FRESH creation!
Tofu and Pineapple salad
Firm tofu (I bought a new brand at Publix that had red peppers in it - YUM!)
(I grilled the tofu in a skillet with olive oil - seasoned with pepper)
Pineapple (cubed)
Dark Greens
Carrots
Green peppers
Onions
Tomatoes
Fresh Basil (chopped)
Cabot jalapeno cheese (shred yourself)
Dressing: Balsamic or salsa