Skip to main content

A BIG thank you to....




*TO Karel - for believing me when I think to myself "there's no way I can do that!" I will remember this weekend as one of my toughest training weekends to date. The wind forced me to play a lot of games with my mind and body. I found myself cutting a lot of deals with myself, not to quit, not to say "I can't" and to try my best to silence any and all negative thoughts. I wasn't perfect in hitting my zones but that wasn't my goal. Give my best and see what happens. That is what this weekend was all about....for on race day, I don't remember the missed zones or the missed workouts but rather the ones that force me to give my best, whatever that may be on that given day.

*TO my mind and body -

Again, you did not dissapoint. We did it together, despite forceful wind and a busy weekend.

Workouts this weekend:
Saturday - 3:30 bike + 30 min run
Bike - 2 x 20 min w/ 2 min EZ
2 x 25 min w/ 2 min EZ
10 min EZ
1 x 30 min
(all within Z3 to low Z4, but specific watts for each interval)

Run - 1/2 IM pace tempo - averaged 7:30 for the entire 30 minute run. I suppose my legs were craving a run and to get off the bike!

Sunday - 30-60 min warm-up spin + 1:30 run
Bike - up to 60 min, loosen the legs, get warmed up

Run - 1.5 miles "warm-up"
20 min Z3 (averaged 7:30 min/mile pace for the tempo)
Main set: 4 x 8 min Z5 w/ 2 min recovery walk/jog
#1) 6:45 min/mile #2) 6:44 min/mile #3) 6:45 min/mile #4) 7:07 min/mile*
*Did not want to do any of this main set. But to find motivation, I decided to do 4 min out, 4 min back to keep my mind happy. I bargained with myself.."Ok, just one more and then I'm done". Managed to have 3 steady efforts and when I got to #4 I was totally done in my body but mind was still strong. I dedicated my last interval to those who can not run. I figured why focus on what you "can't" do when you can focus on what you "can" do. I cruised for the first 4 min and found that last bit of motivation to squeeze in a 7:07 min/mile average for the last 8 min interval.
1.5 mile "campy" run

TO Hammer - for making gel flasks, FIZZ and sustained energy...as well as many other quality products like HEED and Hammer Gels. No bonking during my workout (although I was extremely tired after my bike) all thanks to sustained energy mixed with heed (1 scoop each). It gives me the perfect "Sustainable" energy for my longer rides. Also, 1 FIZZ post workout help curb those post-workout "salty" cravings and to help my muscles recover properly.
Hammer discount
(Use my discount code for a 15% discount off your first order. However, if can buy local, please support your local bike, running or tri shop and support small businesses)

TO CAMPY -

no matter the day, Campy loves his life. He finds a reason to be thankful for what he has and he never complains. He makes me feel like I am an Olympian in training every single day and even on most tiring days and workouts, he boosts my energy with a few kisses and lots of energy. His love is contagious.

TO MY FAVORITE COMPANIES -
110% Play Harder - mobile ice bath, recovery compression gear
Louis Garneau - the most comfortable clothing for training and racing
Oakley women - for making safe, stylish gear and shades to support my active lifestyle
Fuel belt - to help me stay hydrated and fueled, no matter the workout or where I am training
Road ID - to ease Karel and myself, when we train
Garmin and power meters - for helping me stay consistent with training
(Let me know if you are interested in a QUARK - as a coach I have a discount)
Trek bikes - I absolutely love being part of the Trek Family!
Iron Girl - and other magazines, groups, clubs and races for women. I love being a woman and sharing my lifestyle with others - we are strong, confident and independent!
Trigger Point - after every workout and every evening before bed, I roll on my butt (Piriformis) with the Trigger ball and use the trigger roller for my back and legs. I make the time to prevent injuries (long history with hip/piriformis issues) because I'd rather skip out on 10 min of biking, running or swimming in order to work on my "issues" rather than trying to get in extra miles/yards often at the cost of possibly missing days or weeks of training due to a serious injury.

TO MY PARENTS AND ATHLETES/FITNESS ENTHUSIASTS (nutrition and coaching - for always being a phone call or email away. It is amazing how one can feel inspired and motivated by others.


TO HOMEMADE GRANOLA -
The best things to make (and come home to) after a hard training session. Perfect with a glass of milk and a furry best friend to help me clean up my plate/cup.


1 cup oats
2 tbsp honey
4 dates (quartered and diced)
1 ounce walnuts (chopped)
Pinch of sea salt, nutmeg and cinnamon
1 large gala apple, chopped
2 tbsp flax seed (ground)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients (with clean hands).
3. On medium baking sheet, spread a thin layer of canola oil to prevent sticking.
4. Spread out granola and bake 12-22 minutes (or to meet your "crunch" needs)

TO RECOVERY DAY
My motto: Train hard, recover harder.
I can't say it enough but in reflecting over the past few years with my training, I've really learned to embrace recovery. I do not see it as a time to lose fitness, but rather to gain fitness. Of course, I also feel comfortable in my body and eating routine to trust myself on a weekly day or two of low-impact, non-weight bearing or no activity.
Here's a great article about recovery, featuring Coach Matt Dixon - a coach that I highly respect and has changed the way that me, Karel and my athletes have approached training....and recovery.
Q&A with Matt Dixon: Triathlon Training Tips and More