Skip to main content

Blueberry Zucchini muffins

 
I love to be in the kitchen. It's a place that gives me so much creative freedom, sometimes I am overwhelmed by my options.  I don't have a Rolodex of recipes but rather, I am inspired by ingredients. I love to visualize or see meals and create them in a way that pleases, teases or excites my taste buds. There may be a creation here or there that is not blog worthy (I have yet to create a cauliflower or Brussels sprouts recipe that makes me excited) but most of time the time, I take pictures of my food because I am so proud of what I put together. I invite you to take pictures of your meals as an easy way to see what you are putting into your body. Anything from a bowl of cereal to a 4 course dinner, enjoy, appreciate and savour the foods you choose to put into your body.
 
I love to cook but I wouldn't call myself the best baker. I try, especially around the holidays with a few Czech dessert recipes, but baking is a science. There's little room for creativity in baking and for someone like me who likes to eye-ball and guesstimate, that doesn't fly when it comes to making the perfect cake or pie.
 
But, I found one thing that allows me to be super creative when it comes to baking.....MUFFINS!
If you search my blog, I have lots of muffin recipes. I love to add in veggies to my muffins and try out different ways to add sweetness and fiber. Certainly, my muffins don't compare to a baker for mine are a bit on the dense-side and to the dislike of many, not very sweet. But that's ok - we love them in our house and they make for the perfect pre-training snack or dessert.
 
I hope you enjoy my blueberry zucchini muffins!

Blueberry zucchini muffins
 
 
Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup instant oats (uncooked)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg (each)
1 tsp all spice
1 cup plain non fat or low fat yogurt
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg
1 medium zucchini (shredded - about 1.5 cups)
1 cup frozen blueberries (if in season, fresh is fine)
Water - add as needed to help bring batter to a slightly thick consistency and barely dripping off mixing fork/spoon
Favorite crunchy flak cereal (ex. Great Grains) for topping
Pam - to spray pan

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray muffin tin (12 tins) w/ non stick spray
3. Combine dry ingredients (until yogurt) in bowl and mix until combined.
4. Combine wet ingredients in bowl, stir well.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet until evenly mixed. Add a little water as needed to help w/ mixing.
6. Spoon into muffin tin, until 3/4ths full. Batter should make 12 muffins. Sprinkle with a pinch or spoonful of cereal before baking.
7. Bake for ~18-25 minutes or until top of muffin is firm to the touch.
 
Nutrition facts:
(I used my software program Diet Analysis Plus)
Servings: 12
Serving size: 1 muffin
Calories: 118
Fat: 3.5g
Carbohydrates: 19g
Sugar: 8g
Fiber: 3g
Sodium: 74 mg
Protein: 4g