Skip to main content

Weekend training recap


I'm happy to report, another consistent week of training. I love the freedom of the weekends but my life never stops when it comes to my business. I look forward to the weekends like everyone else but I also find enjoyment in every day of the week. I find that life becomes very rushed when we only look forward to the weekends for with 4 weeks in a month, only being happy about 8 days a month seems kinda upsetting when you think about it. 


Training was good. Hard both mentally and physically but sleep, stress management, diet and proper training scheduling has allowed me to see gains within every training session. Campy is an expert recovery partner so as I stay busy on the computer, he does extra resting for me. I was "on call" at the hospital this weekend. A patient I had to attend to yesterday had alcohol abuse and liver disease and was intubated after admit so the MD on the case consulted the on-call RD (me) for tube feeding recommendations (formula and rate). Being a clinical RD really makes me appreciate the freedom we have to make choices every day to live our life to the fullest....and the voluntary desire we have to live a healthy and active lifestyle.


Thanking my body for another week of training was in full effect after my workout on today (Sunday). I find many people do a lot more body bashing than thanking. Certainly we should be thanking our body for what it allows us to do on a daily basis, despite our eating habits, sleeping habits or tendency to overwork and stress-out which may cause the body to feel fatigued, weak, injured or tired. Yet we still expect our body to perform well during work, chores, errands and of course, exercise/training. 

Saturday workout: 
3 hour bike - 30 min warm-up. Join the Lodge-ride group in Nocatee.
-With the group I did my intervals on the left side of the group as to not draft directly but to still push myself. This group is a great group and I love the guys on the ride. They are all really nice and supportive and a mix of cyclist, bike lovers and triathletes. Sometimes there are fixies on the ride and that always amazes me! I have a hard enough time at times keeping up with all my gears...how do they do it with 1 gear and no brakes??

Main set: 
2 x 12 min Z3 w/ 2 min EZ (for the EZ I joined the group, although I am not sure it was recovery for the full 2 minutes)
2 x 20 min Z3 w/ 4 min EZ
10 min EZ
4 x 8 min Z4 w/ 2 min EZ
Z2 for the remainder of the ride
(60 mile ride)

30 minute form-focused transition run:
7:38 min/mile average pace, 4 miles
7:50, 7:44, 7:34, 7:22 min/mile (out and back, headwind out, tailwind back)


Sunday workout: 
(I did my long-run of 11 miles on Thurs which included 3 x 10 min half marathon pace w/ 2 min walk recovery. Then 5 min recovery jog. Then 5 x 90 sec @ 10K pace w/ 45 sec walk recovery)

1:45 bike - 30 min warm-up in Nocatee.
(windy morning but great weather!)

Main set: 
5 x 3 min Z4 w/ 2 min EZ
5 min EZ spin
20 min TT effort (time trial effort - sustainable max power)
15 min Z2 steady
Cool down

50 min transition run:
2 mile warm-up (8:10 min/mile, 8:02 min/mile)
2 min walk break/stretch/lower HR

Main set:
3 miles continuous, steady sustainable pace (very windy):
7:41.09 (HR 137)
7:41.30 (HR 145)
7:41.83 (HR 149)
1 min walk break
1 mile "hard" - 6:54 min/mile (HR 155)
Cool down
Total: Average pace 7:59 min/mile, 6.74 miles, 53:52 total time

I really enjoyed both sets that Karel gave me this weekend. What I liked the most was having a perceived effort run today since it would be hard to nail specific splits like I did last weekend. My body is tired but still recovering very well after workouts. Thankfully I don't get lingering fatigue but I also do a lot of stretching and still keeping up with strength training.
This is all part of training - consistency and adapting with the least amount of training stress. The goal with performance gains is to not train hard when you feel great and then make excuses when you don't feel good. You have to train smart.
I believe in using my garmin wisely and setting up proper screens to help with pacing (Ex. One of my four screens on my Garmin 910XT has lap time, current pace, lap pace and current HR to help me with pacing. One of my screens on my Garmin 500 on my bike has normalized power, 3 second power, current cadence, current speed, lap time, lap distance) and I also believe in not counting myself out from any workout until I am forced to make a decision. I also get great sleep which is my top secret to not getting sick (for the past 5 years, no flu shots and no daily multivitamins - although everyone is different so I am not advocating anything without discussing with your physician) and when I say sleep - it is restful and deep for 7-8 hours most days of the week. Oh and in my bed...not on the couch with the TV on. I believe in a balanced lifestyle and all of this contributes to performance gains and consistent training.

The number one thing that keeps me excited to train is consistency. Being able to bounce back from off workouts and to challenge myself in the great workouts. I constantly battle with my mind when I think to myself "I don't know if I can do that" as I think about an upcoming set or workout. So, instead I allow myself to stay in the present and wait until that  moment happens. Funny thing - more often than not, that moment (when I thought I would be struggle) doesn't occur or doesn't hurt as bad as I thought..or if it does hurt, it is still something that I can overcome. 

Stay tuned tomorrow for two of the yummy creations that helped me fuel for my workouts this weekend. Hope you had a great weekend and be sure to enjoy (and make the most of) the next 5 days!