Skip to main content

Weekend recap and Glow Run 5K



Wind and cold. It was a fun weekend on the bike. Saturday morning I met up with the Lodge group ride and after the ride had finished, I had Karel, Shawn B. and Saswata pull me around for 1 more loop in Nocatee before I called it a morning. 3 hours of riding and my legs loved every minute of it. The only way to get faster is to ride with faster people so I am always happy to find  a wheel to draft of off as it only makes me a better cyclist. Sunday was a bit colder and the wind was blowing strong. I rode with Karel and Jerry for around 2 hours and they were riding steady which meant I was riding uncomfortably steady. But all good fun and I dressed well so it didn't make me think twice about being outside in the fresh air vs being outside on the trainer. 


Post ride breakfast on Saturday - one of my favorites. Egg omelet (2 whites + 1 whole egg mixed with a spoonful greek yogurt, instead of milk). Inside included sauteed kale and onions in olive oil. Seasoned with garlic, onion flakes and red pepper flakes and topped with sharp cheese. To compliment my protein and veggies, a side of fresh fruit (peaches, banana, strawberries) w/ 2 slices of fresh (right out of the Publix oven) bakery bread. Being married to a European, it didn't take Karel too long to convince me as we were dating that packaged bread is nothing like "real" bread. I suppose we have been brainwashed for a while to choose low-calorie, factory-made bread which Karel says would never be a choice in Czech Republic. Although bread is a weakness for many and fresh bread means over consumption  there is something about fresh bread that makes you enjoy every bite and when combined in a balanced meal (not with veggies and meat stuffed in the middle) it can be a beautiful addition to a meal. This bakery bread is one of our favorites -it is made with raisins, cranberries, dried almonds, walnuts and apricots. YUM!

After epson salt bath, stretching, recovery drink (skim cow's milk w/ Hammer Vegan chocolate protein powder) and 110% ice + compression and my delicious recovery meal, I was on-call at the hospital so I had to assess a patient who was recently intubated and sedated (on propofol) and needed tube feeding so as the on-call RD, I was consulted by the MD to provide a formula and rate for the patient. Nothing like keeping the brain "ON" after a workout.

Later in the afternoon, Karel and I (and Campy) headed to downtown Jacksonville to volunteer at the Glow Run 5K.

It was a cold afternoon but Campy dressed well. I had my Oakley Women Pro Soft Shell Jacket which is one of my favorite jackets. It is perfect for the cold days here in Florida and I love it because it can be worn "dressed up" as well as worn comfortable for a cold run (ex. like when I was in Iowa running in less than 10-degree weather..brrrr) or under a ski/snowboarding jacket.


If you are interested in a FUN event for ALL ages, I highly recommend checking out the Glow Run 5K. There are a lot of great events happening now such as the color runs, obstacle course, etc. I think these events are wonderful for a non-competitive vibe that can be shared by all people. Even if you are competitive, perhaps check out one of these races to encourage your friends to participate as it can be an amazing experience to cover 3.1 miles and not "race" but instead to have a blast for all 3.1 miles.

The event had a DJ w/ great pump-up music (despite being super cold out -everyone was dancing before the event), cool glow stick necklaces and glasses and almost everyone was dressed in bright colorful outfits. They have awards at the end for costumes as well as a big dance party. How awesome and a great way to forget about running as "exercise" or burning calories but rather the fun in just moving your body.