Skip to main content

Fruity pancakes


Is it really true that my body did an Ironman just 7 days ago? I am continuing with my no-sick/illness streak which started around 2007 (or earlier), my mind is fresh and the body is not experiencing any residual fatigue. Now this wasn't the case after my first two Ironman's when it took me a good 3 weeks to feel normal again but for the past few years, my quality approach to training is a combination of going into my endurance races hungry to race but also not overtrained so that I can bounce back quickly in order to function well in life soon after a race. Also, a good daily diet and sport nutrition regime assists in optimal training, racing and recovery.
This week has been easy in terms of taking it easy because I feel no pressure to rush back into training. The only thing that is a little off is still my sleeping which I am going to bed about 60-90 minutes later than normal at night (but then again, my life is super busy all day so if I am not training, my mind is often being occupied with a lot of other thoughts and ideas). I will continue to just go by feel (gadget free) for one more week and keep everything light, fun and comfortable.
As for post Ironman, this week Karel and I did nothing on Mon and Tues after the race. Well, we walked around on top of Whiteface mountain on Tues....slowly.


Wed was a travel day (from 6:30am until 8pm) and then Thurs we were itching to do something so Karel and I swam for around 40 minutes (stopping whenever we wanted). Friday I swam again (around a 3000 I think and Karel rode for 90 minutes) and then on Sat and today, I rode my road bike for ~2 hours (no HR monitor, power meter or attention to speed/distance). Karel rode on Sat with some friends and today he jogged for ~30 minutes.
I met up with a few strangers while I was riding, asked if I could join and drafted as my legs did no work for most of the ride. I feel re-charged but will be patient before I start training for Kona for next 8 weeks (Karel is already excited to help me train for my 3rd World Championships so my Training Peaks calendar already has workouts in it for the next few weeks thanks to him :) 

But what I am reminded of the most is that life can really rush by in an instant. I remember around 8 weeks or so out from Ironman Lake Placid, I felt like it was a light-year away and as the weeks went on, it just wouldn't come fast enough. Nearing the last two weeks before the race, I wanted things to slow down because I knew that in two weeks, it would all be over. All that training for a one day event and the experience that I thought would never come was completed in less than 10 hours and 43 minutes. 

Be sure that you are not rushing life, waiting for a vacation, longing for the weekend (on Monday) or finding yourself wishing for tomorrow. Make memories, live in the moment and set goals so that you are not counting your days but instead, making the most of your days here on Earth while you have them. 




Pancakes on Sunday are always enjoyed but 7 days post Ironman, yum, yum, yum. Real maple syrup, Karel's favorite butter and many special surprises in my pancakes to ensure that you are getting lots of nutrients in your breakfast meal. No need to reach for pills and supplements to give your body vitamins and minerals as you should always start with your diet to reduce risk for disease, to help change body composition and to live an active lifestyle as you work hard for your personal goals. 




Fruity pancakesServes 7

6 strawberries (chopped or sliced)
1/2 cup blueberries
1 egg
1/2 cup packed zucchini (shredded)
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup oat flour (you can use any flour, I like to mix up my flours when I made pancakes, I also love soy flour and rye flour)
1/2 tbsp honey
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1/4 cup milk
Olive oil

1. Mix together ingredients in large bowl up until the milk. Stir with a fork to evenly combine.
2. Add milk to create a soupy batter (which will thicken as it sits).
3. Heat a large skillet to low to medium heat (in between) and drizzle a little olive oil on the pan to prevent batter from sticking.
4. Spoon 1/3 cup servings on to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until the bottom is golden brown (you can lightly spread out pancake to be a little flatter with your fork).
5. Flip pancakes and cook other side for 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve with a serving of your choice of protein: glass of milk, greek yogurt, grilled tofu, tempeh, eggs or cottage cheese.