Skip to main content

Watermelon ginger smoothie



I love my blender.....it is affordable and it durable. Two very important criteria for a Trimarni blender..for any food or gadget in my kitchen must fuel my active and healthy lifestyle. I don't eat for calories but for health, performance and for pleasure. 

When it comes to my eating "style", I'd say it is very intuitive. There's a lot of thinking about how food will make me feel as I eat it and afterward, some planning ahead but absolutely no guilty thoughts. I do not lecture or stress about food and eating is a happy time. Certainly, this was a long time in the making for several years of discovering a way of eating that works for me. But for the last few years, I have found myself with food freedom. In other words, food does not consume my life but instead it enhances me life. Food is not bad, overwhelming or difficult to understand but instead, something that I need on a daily basis for fuel and for health but also for the basic idea of eating for pleasure. I eat to honor hunger and stop when I am satisfied. If there is anything I don't like, it is being hungry but even worse, being stuffed. 

I find that many athletes and fitness enthusiasts are not in-tune with their body during training and thus, do not appreciate how food can help the body adapt to training stress and when properly timed with workouts can assist with successful balanced eating throughout the day. Although we should always focus on the nutrients found in food to protect our immune system from disease and illness, there is no better time during the day to put some passion into your eating, than when you are working out. 

Smoothies are an easy way to turn a recovery drink into a meal or to kick start the recovery process. There are dozens of ways to incorporate smoothies into your diet as an easy way to give your body fluids, vitamins, minerals and macronutrients. The ingredients in your smoothie depend on the purpose of the smoothie and with every food I put into my body, it has a purpose. Fuel. Health. Pleasure. 

I have a few "breakfast" meals that work for my body so depending on the workout and the type of morning I am planning (ex. working at the hospital vs being at home for my business) I have learned what meals and combinations of foods work best for me and my body. I don't waste energy on what other people are doing with the diet because I am not them and they are not me. For only I know my body and only I can reflect on what I feel is important to tweak in my diet to set myself up for successful eating for my active and busy life all while reducing my risk for disease so I can continue my awesome life for a few more decades to come.

Once you decide what is important to you with your eating in terms of why you are making changes, you will find it much easier to tweak the diet so that every day you are making a small change for long lasting results. There's no point being hungry, hoping to be better tomorrow, feeling low blood sugar or feeling guilty with eating. With a few small tweaks you can easily change your eating style and find yourself living a life that is not obsessed with food thoughts but instead enhanced with the nutrients found in your food choices.

A few of my favorite breakfast eats;
Yogurt w/ fruit and granola (typically when I work at home)
Egg omelet w/ veggies and cheese w/ fruit and bread (post long workout)
Oatmeal w/ fruit, nuts, protein powder (at the hospital)
Smoothie (intense workout or just in the mood)

Here is my delicious watermelon ginger smoothie that is packed with nutrition. I typically do not measure my food but I provided amounts for you so that you can make the perfect delicious smoothie to help nourish your body and/or recover from your workout.
I used this smoothie as a recovery "meal" and when I do that, I have some fats ad some type of carbs -typically some granola or breakfast bread (I love a good crunch).


                   Watermelon Ginger Smoothie


Ingredients4-5 large chunks watermelon
1/4 cup 0% fage greek yogurt
1 tbsp ground flax
7-8 ice cubes
~1.5 cups water
2 celery sticks (chopped and washed)
1 tbsp ginger (fresh, chopped)
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 large banana
25-30g vanilla whey protein (I typically don't consume the entire portion of smoothie so I use a bit more protein powder for another serving for Karel or for myself the next day).

1. Put all ingredients in the blender and blend. 
2. For a thicker smoothie (like a milkshake - how I like it :) ) keep the blender going for at least 1.5-2 minutes. You will get more volume, just make sure your blender has room for 6 cups (this is how much my creation made as listed above).
3. Pour smoothie into cups (I typically do a 3-4 cup serving post workout as my "meal" with some granola mixed in and then pour the rest in a coffee cup and freeze. I then defrost in 30-60 intervals the next day or as a snack later in the day).

This smoothie is packed with natural anti-inflammatories (ex. ginger and celery - you could throw in pineapple for an extra boost too) and also will help with hydration as it is packed with electrolytes. You may use any protein powder that you'd like (Ex. whey, soy, vegan).

 If you use a smoothie as a meal, I recommend to make sure it has some fat (ex. flax, PB, chia, avocado, oil) to slow down digestion otherwise you will be filled from volume and calories but may find yourself hungry 1-2 hours later. This smoothie typically holds me over for at least 3 hours.