Skip to main content

Coconut pancakes with fruit topping


Coconut pancakes with fruit topping
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs (2 whites, 2 whole)
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp milk (I used reduced fat organic milk but you can use almond milk)
Seasonal fruit - I used raspberries and bananas
Extra crunch - chopped nuts/seeds (I used Veronica's Health Crunch
Olive oil for cooking
Maple syrup

Serves 6-8 pancakes
1. Mix together the first 3 ingredients in medium size bowl. 
2. In small bowl mix together milk and eggs. 
3. Add the wet to the dry and whisk together (you need to use a whisk not a fork) until no clumps remain. If batter is too thick, add a little water or more milk. It shouldn't be runny off the whisk but should be a slow continuous drip. 
4. On a medium size skillet on medium heat, lightly coat the bottom of your pan with olive oil. 
5. Place ~1/4 cup batter to form a pancake, gently smooth out the pancake with the back of a spoon to make it a little thinner. 
6. Cook for 2 minutes or until bottom is firm enough to flip. Edges should be golden brown. Cook the other side for 1 minute.
7. Top with your fruit, extra cinnamon, syrup and your crunch.
These pancakes are rich in protein from the eggs and with the syrup/fruit toppings you have a wonderful post workout, balanced meal. 



In other yummy news....



Trimarni athlete/friend Sara sent Karel and me these delicious cookies.
To describe the deliciousness, these are homemade Dream Cookies. Yes, something only your dreams would create.
Chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips stuffed with a peanut  butter cup inside. 
Topped with coarse salt.
Yes, you are so right. They don't even look and sound good but they taste SOOOO good. 

We are just going to use these to get ourselves ready for Karel's mom's homemade Czech cookies which should be here this month all the way from Znojmo, Czech Republic! 



Found this at The Mast General Store while taking a stroll downtown with my mom, Campy and Karel late afternoon yesterday. 
You probably know that I am passionate about having a great relationship with food but PB is one food that I have an extremely great relationship with. YUMMY in my TUMMY!


This weekend was absolutely beautiful. I hope you were able to enjoy it with your healthy and happy body. 
I decided to switch my run/swim days so on Friday I took myself for a run around downtown and through Falls Park to the Y (about 4 miles) and then did my strength routine. I have been working with Chris Johnson PT who has been amazing in helping me identify some of my weaknesses with my body and running to help me take my running to that next level this year. After my run I did a little more running on the treadmill (4 miles) and then ran home (2 miles). So a very long run (10 miles) but in a way that I gained a lot out of it with out it feeling like I was carrying around residual fatigue all weekend. My long runs have been around 9-10 miles for the past 4 weeks with more frequent running (20-40 minutes with walking) during the week (at least 3 runs during the week). Rather than walking every mile, I typically walk every 5 minutes which is also helping me progress really well with my running with all the strength training I am doing. It's not fast running (around 8:45-9min/mile)as right now in the season, it's time to focus on muscular strength vs cardiovascular strength so it all serves a greater purpose in the season plan. And the best part is that I wasn't injured before working with Chris but I am finding myself getting stronger as I work on weak areas through this new approach to run training. 

On Saturday, I did my long swim of 5000 yards. I have to say, this went by rather fast as this was the first time I have swam over 4500 in over a year. Karel and I have been swimming at least 5 days  a week (sometimes we swim on the weekend in the afternoon) and most of our swims are around 3000-4500. We use the ankle strap , paddles, fins, buoy and snorkel and I have to say that this new approach to swimming is really improving our strength in the water as well as confidence that we are swimming like triathletes. Learning how to hold the body more "taut" in the water and developing a faster more powerful turnover with each arm stroke.

Lastly, on Sunday, Karel and I headed out for our long ride. Most of our weekend rides (when it isn't too cold to ride) are between 3-4 hours. The ride started out around 40 degrees which was a bit chilly at 8:30am but it warmed up nicely with the sun being out the entire time. There are no shortage of mountains to climb and descend on and the cars are rather polite to cyclists which is a nice and huge change from living in Jacksonville, FL. If a car passes me on our favorite country road routes (there are more farm animals than cars) they move to the other lane or wait until a stop sign to pass.
Karel did some heavy gear work on Paris Mountain and I went a bit north to ride on one of my favorite routes. The day was fantastic for riding and I had about 3.5 hours of ride time and just a tad under 4 hours for Karel.