Skip to main content

How to avoid training/exercise guilt

  • Do you feel guilty when you make time for yourself to exercise? 
  • Does your spouse/significant other/family/friends feel like they are low on your priority list because you are an athlete? 
  • Do you have a hard time saying yes to your own fitness needs because you feel like you are always saying no to someone/something else? 
  • Are you in a relationship with someone who doesn't understand (or fully support) your active lifestyle or training/racing goals? 
From the outside looking in on your lifestyle, it may seem like exercise is an obsession to you or that it must come before everything else in life. Despite having all the tips and tricks for integrating exercise into your extremely busy life, your mindset may keep you from staying consistent - because everytime you begin a workout you feel like you should be doing something else.

On our Trimarni Women-only private Facebook page, this topic was recently discussed and several of our female team members provided some excellent feedback, tips and advice on the topic of training/exercise guilt. I thought it would be beneficial to share some of their tips (slightly edited for anonymity) that apply to the topic of this blog.
  • Triathlon first. It's your sanity, it's your you time, it's your self care. 
  • You have every right to prioritize things in your life that are important to you and that keep you healthy. 
  • People should support me in being my best self.
  • You deserve to be with someone who lifts you up and accepts you for exactly who you are.
  • I need to prioritize time for myself.
  • On top of work, kids, family and understanding that you have to be flexible - you have to keep yourself sane & healthy - emotionally, mentally & physically for them and for you. 
  • Find the compromise where you can stay true to yourself and what makes you happy, while still being available for others. 
  • When my children were young, I would hire a sitter to get in a long run in. Self-care is so important, and I knew if I didn’t take care of myself, I couldn’t be a good wife, mother, friend, daughter. I don’t recall what the turning point was for them, but they all finally realized exercise is my therapy, and now encourage it. Take care of yourself and don’t question your passion.
  • I use triathlon and endurance sports to balance me mentally and in turn I am a better wife, mother, daughter and worker. At times people in my life have expressed how they thought I was being “selfish” spending my time training when I could be doing something else, etc. I have come to realize more then ever (and my family has too), that I need to take care of myself in order to be able to take care of my child, family and nurture a healthy relationship. After overcoming a very long health issue, now that the mental and emotional aspect is more evident to them. I think they realize that it wasn’t me being “selfish” and prioritizing triathlon over them but rather taking care of myself. 
  • My husband isn’t an athlete, and he doesn’t always come to my races, but he’s never questioned my time spent training & racing away from him and/or money I’ve spent to do it. You have to take care of yourself to be the strongest, best you for others. 
  • Live a lifestyle that makes you healthy, happy, and the best version of you. I know that can be hard for a non-athlete to understand but you shouldn’t have to sacrifice that. It's not about prioritizing training over something/someone else, but that training is just part of who you are and a part of your daily life — because it makes you happy and healthy.
  • I had a long term significant other who couldn't see that when I wanted to take care of myself and reach my athletic goals that it wasn't about him, it was about me. Getting off the couch to go for a run wasn't about not wanting to spend time with him, it was about me feeling good about me. Take care of you and you will be able to be the best person you can be. 
  • You can't take care of others if you don't take care of you. It is a balancing act but triathlon helps make you the strong person you have grown into. That's what helps you be the best you, especially during hard times. 
Do you know someone who loves swimming, biking or running? Perhaps a friend is overcoming sport burnout/injury and is looking for a fun, new athletic challenge? To help grow the sport of triathlon (specifically, making it more inclusive for women, youth and various ethinic groups), my new book Athlete to Triathlete will simplify the sport to help individuals safely and confidently enter the sport of triathlon, while exemplifying that the sport of triathlon is welcoming to newbies and beginners. Athlete to Triathlete provides up-to-date information and expert guidance to make the triathlon training journey and race day experience safe, fun and memorable. You can pre-order your copy here for the 1/28 release: Athlete to Triathlete.