Skip to main content

Deep Thoughts with Marni


Do you remember the SNL segment "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey"? 

Everytime I begin to write down my thoughts with pen and paper, I laugh to myself as I think about that sketch. As I type out my passionate words on social media, I can't help but laugh and think "Deep Thoughts by Marni." 

I am a deep thinker. I can easily get lost in my own thoughts and the only way for me to sort things out is through writing. I am very nostalgic and I love to learn. I consider myself to be open-minded and I often look at things from multiple perspectives. 

With so many ideas and thoughts circulating through my mind, exercise (or training) is the place where I have the freedom to explore and sort through my thoughts. Many times I'll start a workout with an anxious and racing mind and I'll finish the workout feeling calm and confident. Sometimes I'll have a brillant idea before a workout and then come to my senses when the workout is complete. On the other hand, many of my great ideas do happen during my workouts. 

Over the past few months, I've found myself thinking a lot more than normal. With so much going on in the world, I've had a lot to think about. It can be uncomfortable at times. Writing has always been my outlet for my thoughts. Since I was little, I've always enjoyed writing. It's often therapeutic for me. Whereas my mind often thinks in incomplete sentences while mashing together unrelated (and often illogical) thoughts and ideas, writing helps me organize my thoughts and dismiss what's not relevant or practical. Writing is an opportunity to purge thoughts instead of letting them marinate in the mind. The great thing about writing is that it gives you the freedom to express yourself (or your thoughts) without beind judged. 

I've been sharing some of my writings on social media and thought I'd document a few of them here on my blog for easy viewing. Perhaps you'd like to share them with a friend or pin them for your own future reference. While I write for myself, maybe you'll find them helpful in your own life journey. 

Throughout the upcoming week, I'll share some of my favorite "deep thoughts." 
To start, here is a DTWM (Deep Thoughts With Marni) post that I shared on the topic of "not giving up." I wrote this on the day when I was supposed to race 2020 Ironman Lake Placid.



It's inevitable that any athletic journey will have moments of self-doubt.

Over the past 14 years, I have completed 16 Ironman distance triathlons. During each race, I contemplated giving up. No race was free of struggles and adversity.

But to keep me going, I have a saying that I frequently repeat to myself during tough times.....

"Don't give up on an uphill."

I use this saying to remind me that it's so easy to give up when things get difficult. When something is uncomfortable, we are in a state of uncertainty, expectations are not being met or we are in a place of frustration, giving up often feels like the right thing to do.

Today I was supposed to race my 17th Ironman - Ironman Lake Placid. This incredibly beautiful location in upstate NY holds a very special place in my heart - it’s where Karel raced his first Ironman distance triathlon in 2013 (our first Ironman together) and the majestic mountains gave the impetus that prompted our move to Greenville. Today would have been our 4th trip to Lake Placid.

Athlete or not, these are trying times. We are all on a very steep uphill and it's very uncomfortable.

During times of trouble, stress and unpredictability, it can be difficult to find meaning to life, causing a loss of motivation. A common response in trying times is to give up. If you have tossed around this thought in your head, you are not alone. And your feelings and emotions are validated.

But like the strong thought of quitting on an uphill, when we give up, we settle for easy. Your reason for continuing must be strong enough to knock down the barriers that stand in your way.
If your mind is trying to convince you to give up, resist the urge of quitting on the uphill. Recognize the self-sabotaging forces that are dominating your process of thinking.

When all the odds are against you, there's something gratifying about not giving up. Not giving up is a mindset. It requires persistance, grit and a bit of stubborness. Refusing to give up as an athlete will strengthen you as a human being.

Embrace where you are with your emotions without any judgement. These feelings force you to validate your beliefs, ideas and choices. Strong emotions and feelings are the reality check needed to ensure that you are pursuing meaningful adventures in your one and only lifetime.

It's the times when life tries to break you down that you will be most tested. Stay strong and resilient as you persevere through adversity.

Never give up on an uphill.