Skip to main content

Overcome your fear of trying something new

 
Photo: @Supercycling

In life, we are often given the opportunity to try something new or to do something for the first time. 

It's easy to stay in your comfort zone. Or you can face the fear and step out of it. 

Trying something new typically means that there is a chance for failure. 

It's hard, risky and scary to take the leap and to try something new. You may look silly or embarrass yourself. You may have to ask questions. You will feel unsure of yourself. You may feel vulnerable. 

Two months ago I rode a gravel bike for the first time. Last weekend I participated in my first gravel race. Oddly enough, I have found myself looking forward to each riding opportunity as I get to learn new skills. And this came as a surprise to me because my history of bike riding has been filled with a lot of fear any time I was forced to step (or ride) outside of my comfort zone. 

After participating in endurance triathlon for over 14 years, it's has been a really long time since I have done something for the first time. Gravel riding has been a refresher to feel like a beginner again. 

Saying no to trying something new keeps you safe as you avoid any possibility of embarrassment, stress, shame, anxiety or failure.  

Saying yes to trying something new but wanting to master it immediately can set you up for failure and frustration. 

Trying something new is a learning process. You are going to make mistakes. Learning something new is how you grow. It's how you explore your abilities and capabilities. Yes, it can be stressful, fear inducing, humbling and humiliating but when you let go of fear, you can learn to love the challenge of trying something for the first time. 

When was the last time you launched yourself into a new experience?

Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. 

There is a world of opportunities out there. 
Are you ready to take the leap?