Skip to main content

Why you need to stop complimenting appearance or body image.


We hear it all the time.

If an athlete weighs less or changes body composition, performance will improve.

We must stop assuming that an image is correlated with performance, health and mental well-being.

When I work with athletes (coaching or nutrition), I always consider the possible outcomes of my advice. I do this through getting to know my athletes as much as possible. I listen to my athletes to understand where they are at in their individual journey and their current relationship with food and the body. I explore every outlet possible to help an athlete improve performance and to get the most out of their body, without placing the focus on body size, shape or image. 

Many times, athletes will come to me with a weight loss goal and without targeting weight loss, performance improves because we addressed behaviors - not a body image. 

While a coach or nutrition expert may mean well by telling an athlete to lose weight or change body composition for a health or performance boost, this language can do more harm than good. Words matter in our appearance-obsessed society. 

Because most athletes do not seek out professional guidance and support when starting a weight loss or body composition journey, there is no one to prevent the use of extreme weight loss methods, to reduce misinformation and to question against unhealthy dietary practices that can sabotage performance and health.

By complimenting someone on qualities and characteristics that are not based on appearance, this helps the person develop the sense that who they are matters — not what they look like.