Skip to main content

Back To Structured Fun


I enjoyed a 2-week mid-season break after Ironman Lake Placid. Although I was pretty smashed for the 48 hours after the race, I bounced back pretty quickly on Wednesday. By the weekend, I was itching to get back into structured training. However, I knew that I needed to respect my body (and mind) for what it allowed me to do for 140.6 miles and give it the rejuvination that it deserved. 

My approach for my two week mid-season break was unstructured fun. Without a schedule as to what to do each day, I let my body and mind decide what it was I would do, and for how long. Aside from swimming, all exercising was kept at a low intensity and included stops as needed. 

Here's a recap of my 2-weeks of unstructured fun: 

July 25th: Ironman Lake Placid
July 26th: Walking around town
July 27th: Fly home
July 28th: Road bike (90 min, 4PM)
July 29th: Long course swim (~3700 yards, 8:13AM). 40 min run (5:40PM).
July 30th: Long course swim (~4300 yards, 9:04AM)
July 31st: Bike (~1:20, 10:11AM), Run (59 min, 11:54AM)
August 1st (private training session with an athlete): OWS (9:31AM), Bike (2:58, 11:20AM)
August 2nd: Long course swim (~4300 yards, 8:58AM), 45 min run (4:23PM)
August 3rd: Long course swim (~3900 yards, 9:11AM)
August 4th: Run (1:10, 9:40AM), Bike (1:11, 4:27PM)
August 5th: Long course swim (~4000 yard swim, 7:45AM)
August 6th: Road bike Blue Ridge Parkway (4:01, 10:39AM)
August 7th: Spectate Karel at Lake Logan Half
August 8th: Run (1:25, 10:34AM)

It was a nice mix of swim, bike, run but without any structure or routine. I made sure to keep every workout fun but without a purpose. 


With a little over four weeks left before Ironman 70.3 World Championship, I am back to structured training. My tri bike made it's appearance after 2.5 weeks in the travel bike box from Ironman Lake Placid. The focus switches from unstructured fun to purposeful fun. Although not every day is easy, I make a conscious effort to always have fun when I train. It is something I choose to do with my body and mind and the benefits extend far beyond a race day performance. 

If you have been struggling with finding the "fun" in your training, I encourage you to explore the following topics to see how you can bring yourself back to that beginners joy for training and racing. 
  • Obsession with metrics - miles completed, weekly distance, paces/watts/speed
  • Dissatisfied with body image 
  • Rigid and ritualistic with training (and eating)
  • Pressure to perform 
  • High expectations 
  • Fear of failure 
  • Inadequate recovery
  • Monotonous training
  • Isolated training
  • Dull workout environment 
  • Workouts without purpose or meaning
  • Too high volume/intensity
  • Not enough intensity
  • Training without gratitude