Skip to main content

Hincapie Gran Fondo - Event Recap

 

When planning my 2021 race season, I had intended on the Ironman 70.3 World Championship and Xterra trail run being my last two events of the season. Although I felt officially finished with my season when returning home from Utah, I've been itching to be back in a competitive atmosphere. 

The itch got stronger over the past two weeks when riding with the Supra Bar Cycling Club. We pre-rode parts of the course (Skyuka and Saluda Grade one week and then Green River Cove switchbacks the next week) during each ride and it made me realize how much I love being around others when I'm on my road bike. 

By the time I decided I wanted to do the Hincapie Gran Fondo for the 4th time, the registration price was at its highest amount. I questioned if I wanted to pay that much and I decided it was too much and instead, I would just volunteer. I signed up for a volunteer shift from 6am-9am at Bag Check as I figured it would be the most "social" activity and I could see some familiar faces. Well, soon after I filled out my volunteer sign-up, I found out from Debbie with Supra that someone was in need of selling his entry (at the original early bird price) so I quickly acted on it and he transferred his entry to me (thankfully that is an option at the Hincapie Gran Fondo event). 

I decided to keep my volunteer slot and help out before starting my event at 9am. 

I went to bed pretty early on Friday and had a fairly good night of sleep. I was really excited for the event but cycling events always give me some nerves as the mass start is always crazy fast and chaotic. Karel is always great at maneuvering his way through the field and I've learned a lot from him. Speaking of Karel, he wasn't interested in participating in the event this year so he rode his mountain bike at Dupont for 3 hours and followed it up with a 35 minute trail run. For me, it's really important to me to be in social settings in the fall/winter whereas Karel is ok doing his own thing and doesn't need the people interaction that I crave. 

I woke up at 5am and left my house around 5:40am. I had some yogurt before I left and a bagel w/ PB and honey during the 20-minute drive to the hotel. Arriving so early to Hotel Domestique gave me a great parking spot near the expo/race start/finish. 

I reported to the bag check at 6am with my bike and cycling gear (and post event clothes) and wasn't really needed until around 7am. By 8am, it got really busy and I was checking in bags by stapling the bag check number of each participant to their bag and then putting it in the respective bib number row on the ground. I saw several friends and a lot of Ironman-branded race bags being checked in. Although I was dressed in layers for the early morning (it was in the 50's), I totally forgot my arm warmers for the event. Thankfully Debbie had an extra pair that she loaned me for the event. 

Around 8:40am, the line started to dwindle down for bag check and I was released of my duties. I quickly put on my cycling shoes, helmet, arm warmers and glasses and stuffed my pockets with sport nutrition (Infinit powder - 2 bags for two refills, PB filled Clif Bar and a packet of Clif Ginger Chews). I rode my bike on the grass field behind the hotel and managed to squeeze into the front of the 2nd corral of riders (juniors and VIP in the front, then another corral of riders). With over 2500 riders between three events (15 mile, 50 mile, 80 mile) there was a long line behind me. 

After waiting for about 10 minutes, we were finally off. It took a few more minutes to get over the start line and finally, I was off. The first mile is up hill and with all different riding skills ahead of me, I was careful making my way through the riders. I have to give Karel a big thank you for teaching me so many great skills when riding in a group. 



I didn't have a strategy for how I wanted to go about this event but I knew I wanted to give it a solid effort. Anytime I have a timing chip and a bib number, I want to give it my best effort. There's something about being in an event that makes me want to explore my limits. But I also wanted to have fun so it was a careful balance to not be overly focused on results that I couldn't enjoy myself. 

After navigating my way safely through the first 24 miles (1:11) which included some fast miles and a technical section around Lake Lanier near Tryon, I made my way to Skyuka. I found myself by myself for a few miles and just thought about expending too much energy on my own. These cycling events are all about getting in a group and being pulled along. Even though it's still work when you are in a group, it's much faster to be in a group than riding solo.

When I finally got to Skyuka (after getting behind the wheel of a guy and another female rider), I was looking forward to our first official climb. This timed KOM (or QOM) was 3.85 and took me 33:42. I met up with my friend Carley and we rode together and chatted for most of the climb. Near the top, I couldn't keep her pace and she got ahead of me. My legs were working hard and I could feel it. Skyuka is a tough climb as it averages around 9% and has segments over 14%. It's a tough climb that you have to just grind your way up. I found myself passing a few other riders and when I finally got to the top, I was rewarded with one of my favorite views. But I didn't spend too much time enjoying the view as I wanted to get to the aid station stop to refill my bottles and to hopefully join a group. 

A large group left right as I was filling up my bottle and Carley and I tried to catch them. There was a crash right in front of us on one of the tight switchbacks but I felt confident with my descending skills. I've really improved over the years and my Ventum NS1 w/ disc brakes has really helped my confidence when descending, especially with our technical terrain. 

For the next 43 minutes, Carley and I found ourselves alone with no groups around us. There was one other girl with us and another guy but not enough horsepower to move us up to any group ahead of us. We were actually passed by George Hincapie and a few riders with him but we didn't react fast enough to hop on to this train.


Nike and Carley - we rode over 50 miles together and we shared a lot of laughs, convos and cheers.

When we got to the 2nd timed KOM/QOM section on the Saluda Grade, one of the girls we were with rode really strong. I made sure to stay on her wheel but as she was starting to get tired near the top (she was riding really really strong) I took over and pulled my group to the top. We ended up being pulled along by a guy named Nick from Nashville (who helped pull us for a few miles before the Saluda Grade climb). This climb took us 21:22 and was 3.61 miles. I really like this climb because it's a steady climb without any pitchy sections. I can just find my rhythm and if my energy is good, I can hold it. I was doing a great job with my nutrition and trying to take in a bit more than what I would normally take in due to nature of this challenging 80-ish mile course with almost 8000 feet of elevation gain. 

Near the top of the climb, the other girl with us got a boost of energy and took off right before the top of the climb before we got there. We rolled in right after her. We then made a stop at the next aid station in Saluda to refill bottles. I made sure to always refill my bottles so that I wouldn't ration any of my drinks. It was a beautiful day with weather in the upper 60's/low 70's and sunny. A perfect fall day with light wind. 

Next came Green River Cove. This "loop" is around 23 miles and can be broken down into a few distinct sections. The first section includes a lot of fast descending on winding roads. It's fast, fun and scenic. But the descending doesn't last long enough before you are hit with a wall of a climb. There are 3.5 of these "walls" to negotiate over ~10 miles. There's one super sketchy switchback that is more like a u-turn of a curve but they have caution signs notifying the riders of that section. I felt really comfortable descending and even at this point in the race (almost 4 hours in), I still felt really good with my energy. I was coughing a few times but I didn't feel anything concerning in my lungs. 

Next comes a "flat" section that runs along the Green River. These 8-miles are absolutely beautiful and it all reminds me of Lake Placid or somewhere out west. Nick did most of the pulling but Carley and I were there to help out whenever needed. After our next aid station stop at the church before this 8-mile section, we had missed the big group so we knew we were on our way for this stretch. I was hopeful that we could still catch up to some riders but no luck.

And then comes the Green River Switchbacks - the last timed KOM/QOM. Seventeen switchbacks with a few pitchy segments. I like the switchbacks as it breaks up the climb but there are some steep sections that require a strong grind up. With Carley right behind me, she really kept me honest as I was pushing the pace. We did the 2.13 mile climb in 17:29 and it was a relief to have that behind us. On Skyuka climb I had no idea how my legs would make it through the Green River Cove loop but with 15 miles to go, I was still feeling really strong. I had a few sips of Pepsi and a banana before we started the 8-mile section so by the time we got to the switchbacks, I felt like I had really good stable energy. I was also still sipping on my INFINIT custom blend and ended up finishing 4 bottles throughout the ride. 


We stopped at the Saluda aid station one last time and then we made our way through the town of Saluda and up and down a few rollers before a nice 7-mile descend throughout the watershed. Nearing the end of the watershed, we were caught by a small group and there were two females in that group. The two ladies were the ones that I had rode with before Skyuka and on the Saluda Grade. At this point, I felt a bit of a competitive fire in me so my mission was to attack the very last climb to the finish line (1K to go) and give it all I could. I ended up breaking away and finished ahead of the group. All for glory and no awards, I had a lot of fun pushing myself on that final stretch. I knew Karel would be proud of me and if he was there, he would have expected me to sprint at the end with the group behind me - because why not? :)

So thankful I "rode" into Carley on the Skyuka climb. We both pushed each other. She's a great climber and descender. 

I was done at the finish but full of smiles. My soul was happy and I got what I wanted out of the event.

Even though this course is in my backyard and I can ride it anytime, I crave community, positive energy, cheers and memorable experiences as every athletic event I choose is a way to enrich my athletic soul. I was happy that I could volunteer (which always gives me an even bigger appreciation for all that goes on behind the scenes of an endurance event) and could participate in my 4th Hincapie Gran Fondo. I ended up placing 7th overall female and finished in 5:07 (4:56 not including stops). 


I spent some time with my Supra Cycling friends and then headed home. Oh, I was talked into running off the bike with a cycling friend Nate (he's a duathlete) so we ran 6 minutes off the bike - just to remind ourselves of what it feels like :) My first brick run since IM 70.3 World Championship in September. I finished the day with several slices of Sidewall pizza (I picked up 2 pizzas on the way home) and a yummy bowl of Oreo Ice Cream. 


FULL EVENT RESULTS HERE.