Skip to main content

Prove it to yourself

 
Drenched after a run workout in the rain. 

The first two months of colder months are always really hard for me. I find it incredibly challenging to navigate through all the emotions of races being so far away and it being colder (and more dreary) outside. While I consider myself a very motivated, get-it-done type of person, I struggle in the early part of the winter. I find myself questioning why I workout, why I do triathlons and making excuses as to why I can't workout. 

But then I prove it to myself that I can workout. And it actually feels good and I have a productive training session. 

Despite the many confusing and unhelpful conversations that often go through my head before a workout, I manage the strength to start a workout. Sometimes it's easy to get started and sometimes it's really, really hard. I never have this problem when it's warm but December/January are always challenging months for me. 

I've developed a mantra to help get me out the door (or to start an indoor training session) and it is pretty simple. I just think to myself "Prove it." 

For every excuse that I can come up with not to workout, I try to prove to myself that it's a valid excuse. Too sore, too cold, too windy, too rainy, too tired, too busy, too stressed, too late, too early....despite all these excuses why I feel I can't train, I always seem to have a good workout. Getting started is always the hardest part. 

If you struggle to summon the willpower to workout, here are a few tips that may help you get started. While tips may be of help, it's important to always put energy into your lifestyle habits for lack of sleep, unhealthy nutrition and poor time management skills will not make it easier for you to start (or finish) a workout. No about of willpower can make you workout if you are underfed, undernourished, stressed and sleep deprived. 

  1. Your mind is tired, not your body. You may feel like you don't have the energy to exercise but there's a good chance that your mind is exhausted. With so much time learning, speaking or working on the computer, there's a good chance that your body has not been worked like your mind. Instead of crashing on the couch and watching TV or staring at your smart phone, give your mind a rest and challenge your body to some exercise. 

  2. Don't be hard on yourself - Setting high expectations or putting a lot of pressure on yourself can lead to a pass-or-fail mindset. Be kind and passionate with yourself. There will be days when you just don't have the energy to stick to your training plan or exercise routine and that is ok. Instead of mentally beating yourself up, release expectations and just go with the flow. There are so many different ways to move your body - you don't have always follow your exercise plan perfectly. And sometimes it's perfectly OK to take a morning, evening or complete day off from exercise. 

  3. Focus on the end result - Whenever I prove to myself that I had the energy to workout even though I thought that I didn't, I make a mental note. This helps for the next time I find myself in a similar situation - I remember the end result. When you have trouble motivating yourself to work out, think about the happiness, joy, accomplishment, freedom, rush of endorphins, creativity and inspiration that you experience after you finish the workout. Sometimes it's not about the workout itself but knowing that you took time to take care of yourself. 

  4. Prove it to yourself - Instead of thinking about all the reasons why you can't workout, think about the one reason why you can. Put on your workout clothes, spend a few minutes warming up and then make the next step - get moving. The only way that you can prove to yourself that you can do it is if you try. The more often you take this approach, the more often you'll wonder how you accomplished so many workouts throughout the week.