Skip to main content

Are you ready to try a triathlon?

For more info, click HERE.

If you've been thinking about trying a triathlon, I encourage you to consider an indoor triathlon. Indoor triathlons have become very popular at gyms, YMCAs and other types of athletic clubs as a fun winter indoor event. It's a safe place to start if you want to see/experience what a triathlon is all about. An indoor triathlon includes a swim in an indoor pool, cycling on a stationary bike and run on a treadmill (or around a track) - either for a set time or miles. Unlike a standard triathlon where you swim in an open body of water and ride/run on the road, an indoor triathlon takes place, yep you guessed it - entirely indoors!
And no need to invest in a lot of equipment or gear. All you need is a swim cap, goggles, swim suit, running shoes and cycling shorts - all things that you can find at your local run, tri or bike shop (or online).

As an example, the Kroc Center in Greenville is putting on an indoor triathlon on February 5th. You can find more info HERE. If you have been tri-curious, give it a try! You'll feel super accomplished and proud when you finish! 

Triathlon has been part of my lifestyle for the past 16 years. the sport has given me so much and has helped me through some really tough times. The swimbikerun lifestyle has taught me how to overcome obstacles, love my body in motion and to experience the rewards that come with hard work, patience and enjoying the journey. I've also met a lot of really cool people along the way. 

But even if you see me an experienced, accomplished triathlete.....



Every expert was once a beginner......

When I participated in my very first triathlon (2003), I knew little about the sport. I saw a flyer on the YMCA bulletin board promoting a triathlon race. As a collegiate swimmer, I felt extremely comfortable with pool swimming (little open water experience) but the bike portion was super scary for me. I had a little experience with running so I was so relieved when my feet finally hit the pavement for final leg of the triathlon - I was just so happy to be off the bike. I was equally exhausted and thrilled at what I had accomplished by finishing a sprint distance triathlon. It just seemed so crazy to me that my body could do three sports back to back to back. 

One year later in 2004, I participated in an Olympic distance triathlon. I had just graduated from college and I was a few weeks away from traveling to Florida for graduate school. I owned a hybrid bike and helmet but my triathlon equipment list was minimal - running shoes, swim suit, goggles and a bike (with a kick stand).

After spending ten years as a competitive swimmer, I missed the comradery of training/competing with others. Plus, a student-athlete lifestyle was all I knew. In 2005, I participated in my first marathon. I was in graduate school studying exercise physiology and I was craving some stress-relief through structured training.

In 2006, I was bit hard by the endurance bug.

I completed the Boston Marathon, my first half ironman (IM 70.3 Florida at Disney) and my first Ironman (IM FL) - all in one year. All at 24-years old. I was amazed at what my body could do and I loved being in the triathlon environment. The athletes were so supportive, inspiring and positive. Biking was my weakest leg of the triathlon - and the most unnerving to me. However, over the years I've been able to go from weak to strong, scared to confident.



Karel came from a competitive cycling background and after a lifetime of bike racing, he was seeking a new challenge. In 2012, he participated in his first triathlon. He really struggled with swimming. He could barely swim 25 yards without getting out of breath. And for the first few years of triathlon racing, he would experience great anxiety when swimming in the open water. Interestingly, he became a fast and efficient runner. Although he doesn't love being on his triathlon bike, triathlon has kept him loving cycling. 


For me and Karel, our love of endurance sports has allowed us to recently explore new and different opportunities - like trail running and mountain biking. While I plan to always keep learning about myself as an endurance athlete, I have learned the most from 14+ years of triathlon coaching. Although my specialty is endurance triathlon training and racing, I know exactly how it feels to be a beginner triathlete. It was scary, overwhelming, fun and exciting.

When I started the sport, there weren't a lot of resources for beginner triathletes - especially for individuals who had some type of athletic or fitness background. I felt like I had to learn as I went along. Because of that, I made some mistakes and had to figure things out the hard way. I experienced injuries, I probably trained too much/too hard and I spent money on gear/equipment that I didn't need.


Anytime you pursue a new sporting event, there's a good chance that you will feel confused and overwhelmed yet excited and eager. 

The sport of triathlon has experienced significant growth since becoming an Olympic sport in 2000. Since I crossed my first finish line in 2003, much has changed in the sport. From gear and equipment to the training and fueling - triathlon has evolved and grown over the years. However, there are still several barriers to entry - such as cost, time and intimidation. From the outside, triathlon may appear complicated, exhausting, elitist and overwhelming. For these reasons, many active individuals are hesitant to train for and participate in a 3-sport event.

To help you feel more comfortable about the sport of triathlon, check out my book Athlete to Triathlete. I wrote this book to help individuals feel more welcomed and comfortable on race day while also safely and confidently entering the sport of triathlon. I want others to feel the same excitement that I felt as a newbie but prepare for a triathlon event in a smart and effective way. 

Athlete to Triathlete also serves as a triathlon training guide with features such as: 

  • How to choose a triathlon race
  • How to plan your season of training and racing
  • Race day gear checklist
  • Transition and brick workout tips
  • Training principles and measuring progress
  • Rest and recovery
  • Motivational tips 
  • Tapering for a race
  • Swim, bike, run gear 
  • Open water swim tips
  • Warm-up recommendations
  • The pre-race check-in and race-day procedure
  • Triathlon lingo - yep, there is a language spoken by triathletes
  • What to expect at the race (from start to finish) 
  • Nutrition guidelines for training and racing 
  • Race day rules
  • Strength and stretching pictures 
  • Workout advice tailored to swimmers, bikers and runners
  • Detailed, day-by-day training plans to prepare for a Sprint or Olympic distance triathlon (12-week training plans). 
  • And so much more!!!!

Along with ordering my book, you can help me get the word out by writing an Amazon review and sharing with your friends, training partners and anyone else you feel would benefit.
You can order your copy here: Athlete to Triathlete.



See you at the finish line!