Skip to main content

From Elite to Beginner - a reminder for the experienced triathletes

 

Over the past year, I've gone from elite triathlete to complete beginner. 

In 2021, at the age of 39, I had one of my most successful seasons in 16 years of competitive long-distance triathlon racing. 
  • IM 70.3 Chattanooga - 3rd overall female
  • IM 70.3 Blue Ridge - 2nd overall female (missed first by 2 seconds)
  • IM Lake Placid - 3rd overall female
  • IM 70.3 World Championship - 11th age group
Over the past 12 months, I've also trained for and raced in three new sports......gravel biking, trail running and mountain biking. Although my triathlon experience has given me tools to use for each of these new events, I had to remind myself that I was a beginner. Whereas in half and full distance triathlon racing, the experience is very familiar and routine for me, I was filled with curiosity with each new sport. The novelty of each event made it fun and exciting. But with each 'first time' I also knew that I would be learning a lot throughout the experience and the best race day mindset was to free my mind from expectations. 

Over the past 16 years of endurance racing, I've become good at racing. However, it wasn't always this way. If I only look at results, I won my age group at my first Ironman in 2007 (18-24 age group) and did not win my age group again until 2017 (35-39 age group). Since 2017, I have won my age group at two more Ironmans (IMWI '18 and IM Lake Placid '21). I guess you could say that it took me ten years to become an overnight success.

I love the sport of triathlon because I love to swim, bike and run. I also love what triathlon has given me - a job, a reason to travel, friends from all over the world, and a way to help others step outside their comfort zone. It's also fun to have experience and success in the sport that I love. 

Although I can put myself into 'autopilot' mode when it comes to swimbikerun over 70.3 or 140.6 miles, I can't tell you how many times I've freaked out, fallen and struggled with trail running, gravel riding and mountain biking.  Instead of knowing, I am growing. There are no expected outcomes but instead, so many possibilities. With these new sports, I have a lot of learning to do - primarily with my skills. I am having a lot of fun feeling like a beginner again but it sure is frustrating at times.

This past weekend I participated in my first mountain bike race (race report coming soon). I was nervous and excited. Although this was a small race, I was still anxious about the event. I checked my email obsessively for the "race day" email from the race director. It came a day before the event and I still had unanswered questions like....where do we park, where do we pick up our race numbers, how are our laps recorded, what is the course, will there be bathrooms available, etc. 

Although I still look at the athlete guide of each of my 70.3 and Ironman events, the information is generally the same. For most every triathlon, I know what to expect. 

But I'm a beginner at gravel biking, MTBing and trail running - how should I know what to expect? I'm going to make mistakes in order to learn. I'm going to have questions. I'm going to say things that may sound silly to the expert. I'm going to get excited about basic things. I'm going to struggle when the expert will sail. 

In each of my new sports, fellow competitors and participants have been extremely helpful, supportive and kind. As I'm being passed on the course, I receive cheers and encouraging words. I always try to do the same. There are all different types of gear, equipment, clothing, skills and body shapes/sizes which makes these sports very welcoming.

For the individual who is looking to stretch their comfort zone, do the impossible or accomplish a dream, triathlon is the perfect sport. In my book Athlete to Triathlete, I talk about how welcoming the sport of triathlon is and how supportive and nice the people are. I want to believe that most triathletes are supportive of an inclusive and diverse triathlon community. But those who are experienced in the sport have a responsibility to help grow the sport of triathlon. 

There are a lot of beginners out there - many more than the hard core athletes who have been doing the sport for 5-10+ years. For many newbie triathletes, like myself, these individuals are in it for the experience.....because it's fun. To keep the sport of triathlon accessible, friendly, welcoming, less intimidating and inclusive, here are a few tips: 
  • The way that you do something may not be the best way for a beginner. Put yourself in the shoes of the beginner before providing tips, suggestions and advice. 
  • The beginner needs to have fun in order to stick with the sport. I'd like to think that every athlete started a sport because they found it fun. To ensure a positive race/event day experience, don't make fun of athletes who don't look like, act like or think like you. 
  • Don't steal the joy from the newer athletes. Complaining about the course, the weather or providing your negative opinions about the event is not how we grow the sport. Only offer helpful advice that will ensure a positive race day experience for the athlete and leave your complaining to the event organizer. 
  • Look around you and offer help as needed. Like waving to a car that passes you as you ride to bike, you want to be the kind, welcoming, helpful experienced athlete that makes for a great race day experience in the eyes of a newbie. 
  • Keep an open mind. Even for the expert, there are still new things to learn, mistakes to be made and areas of improvement. Tame your ego. 
As a reminder, an athlete can be dedicated and competitive and still be in it for the social aspect and fun experience. The excitement of signing up for an event or reason for completing an event may not be for the competitive aspect but for health and wellbeing and a sense of accomplishment. 

Let's not forget that every elite athlete was once a beginner.