Skip to main content

When new kit day causes body image dissatisfaction


After several months of waiting, we finally received our 2022 Trimarni kits. We have a new company, new design and new colors. We weren't sure how it would all turn out but we could not be happier!

Receiving a new training or race day kit is a special moment. As an athlete, you do incredible things with your body on a daily basis. And when it comes to race day, you are often doing what others think is impossible. Every time you get dressed to use your body for sport, you deserve to wear clothes that make you feel confident, empowered and happy. A great mood boost can come from wearing clothes that make you feel so proud of your active and healthy lifestyle.

Unfortunately, the long-awaited arrival of your new outfit may cause a mood drop - especially if you feel unhappy with your body image when trying on your new training or race day kit. When something doesn't fit right and you feel uncomfortable, it can mess with your head. 

If you are an athlete, there is a good chance that you have found yourself unhappy with your body when trying on clothes. I can remember trying on dresses for my high school senior prom and it was clear that the clothing manufacturers were not catering to my athletic body. I couldn't find anything to fit my short stature or my wide back and broad shoulders acquired from competitive swimming. I finally found a two-piece dress that had a tie-back top, which I could adjust to fit my unique physique.

Still today, I find it difficult to dress for my body type. But I take pride in my athletic body and I refuse to conform to societal norms of changing my weight, size and shape in order to fit into an "ideal body type".

How many times has your day been ruined after putting on clothes that didn't fit your body type?
Do you feel embarrassed and ashamed when you need a size bigger than what you are used to?
Does a preoccupation with your weight/size trigger food restriction, dieting and over exercising?

Because your experience of your own body comes from how you believe you compare to the images you see on social media, this often means you are comparing your body to unrealistic standards. It's not surprising that so many athletes feel insecure and obsessed with their bodies when trying on athletic wear. 

If you don't fit the mold, you do not need to change your body. Resorting to unhealthy dieting or exercise regimes to reach an "ideal" body type is not the solution. Do not give power to a generalized body sizing system that negatively impacts your self worth. 

Having a strong, fit and healthy body is not defined by a specific look. 

Find clothes that make you feel proud of your current body. Purchase clothes that fit your here and now body. Purge clothes that no longer serve you well physically, emotionally or mentally. It's ok to change sizes - you are human in a changing body.

Your exercise gear should never make you feel guilt or shame. Wear clothes that make you feel proud of your shape, size and image.

Don't blame your body for ill-fitting clothing. Being thinner will not necessarily make you happier or healthier. Remind yourself of what your current body can do and the healthy lifestyle that you live with your amazing body. 

Thankfully the fashion industry is evolving. We chose Epix for a variety of reasons but we appreciated that they offered a variety of sizes (without an extra cost for larger sizes), the material fit all body shapes and sizes and there was even a custom option to tailor the sleeves and shorts. 

I'm no fashionista but I know that I don't need to fix my body to feel good about what I wear and I am not defined by a number on a clothing label or bathroom scale. 

Nobody is built the same. There is nothing wrong with you. Find acceptance with how you are built.... there is no perfect fit.