Skip to main content

Always a swimmer


This morning we said good-bye to our master swim coach who has been instrumental in helping so many people around our area with their swimming fitness, while also sharing his contagious passion for swimming. 

Bill - our masters swim coach - is leaving us in Greenville to be closer to family in the Midwest. 😢
For the last few years, having Bill on deck kept me accountable, having fun (I love social kick!) and working hard.

Going into my 30th year of swimming, I’m still showing up to swim “practice.” I will often modify his sets depending on my training needs but he’s always there for on-deck coaching.


I’ve had some of my best Ironman swim times over the past few years (first time breaking an hour at IM Kona without a wetsuit in ‘19 and going 55:43 at IM Lake placid last summer).



I swim often and my sweet spot is around 3500-4500 yards 3-4 times per week. I don’t like being out of the water for more than a day. Bill has given me so many good cues to help my stroke/technique. He also encouraged me to incorporate more fly when I swim which seems to even out my technique flaws.


I’m a swimmer for life and I hope that everyone can develop a love for swimming. It’s always hard to get started but swimming is such a great sport for the mind, body and soul.

                                              
🏊‍♀️ Give yourself some type of workout for structure to hold you accountable to a quality swim.
🏊‍♀️Never stop working on your technique. Using pool “toys” like the snorkel can help.
🏊‍♀️Make it social and swim with a friend.
🏊‍♀️Have someone video you so you can see your stroke.
🏊‍♀️Be patient. Enjoy the process and don’t get frustrated. Don’t let your watch/timing clock ruin a quality swim because you can’t hit certain times. Even the off days count.
🏊‍♀️Change up the scenery when you can. Drop in to a masters group, swim at a different pool or go to the open water.
🏊‍♀️Zone out and enjoy being weightless without any distractions.


Swimming is my happy place. When I'm in the water, I feel so happy.