Skip to main content

Becoming more adventurous - one ride at a time.

 

Karel loves adventure. He's always curious about the unknown. 

Karel loves discovering new bike routes. Sometimes this means getting lost, sometimes this means finding a road that goes nowhere. I can't tell you how many times Karel has ventured out on a bike ride (road, gravel, tri, mountain bike) without any idea as to where the road goes. He has no fear riding somewhere new. 

Over the past 16 years, Karel's adventurous soul has rubbed off on me. But I was not always this way. For almost 14 years of our relationship, I would question Karel and would feel so uncomfortable, scared and fearful riding somewhere for the first time - especially when I knew that Karel had no idea where he was going. But over the past two years, I've learned to be a bit more adventurous when it comes to bike riding. Although I often have the immediate thought of "I can't do this" I try to quickly dismiss that thought and open my mind to new experiences. 

Although it hasn't been easy to relinquish my need for control and having a plan when training, having a more adventurous mentality has helped me in life. I also believe that my recent and consistent results in long distance have come from viewing racing as if it was an adventure. So many times, athletes struggle due to fear of uncertainty. This causes underperforming for the need to stay in the comfort zone. 


If you are wanting to be more adventurous with your life, especially with training, here are a few tips:
  • Go into the unknown with curiosity. Curiosity is the root of being adventurous. 
  • Go into a situation feeling mentally free, open and willing to experience something new.
  • Let go of what is holding you back. 
  • Start small. Don't step out of your comfort zone, stretch is gradually. 
  • Don't set expectations. Go with the flow and see what happens. 
  • Be ok to fail. 
  • Push yourself to be uncomfortable. 
  • Get excited to try something for the first time. 
  • Rationalize your fears. 
  • Build trust in yourself, your thoughts and your actions.
  • Be a warrior, not a worrier. 
  • Do things safely. Set your limits and your boundaries.