Skip to main content

2022 Hincapie Gran Fondo Greenvillle - event recap

 

The Hincapie Gran Fondo Greenville is one of my favorite events. It comes late in the triathlon season so it's a fun way to finish off the year of racing. Even though I can ride the route anytime I want (it's nice only living 20 minutes away) the event is very professional, the community and volunteer support is incredible and I love the social aspect of seeing familiar faces and making new friends. 

Although I don't train specifically for this event, I've been able to perform well at this event for a few reasons. 

1) Triathlon training builds all around cardiomuscular endurance, strength and resiliency. 
2) I do a lot of group riding throughout the year with the Supra Cycling team and the Greenville Spinners. This helps me improve my bike handling skills and confidence/safety in a group setting. Plus, everyone I ride with is very supportive and nice, which makes group riding much more fun. 
3) I know the course, the tactics of the riders and where to conserve energy by staying in a group or dialing back my effort). Bringing this familiarity to the event allows me to race smart on such a challenging course. 
4) I love testing myself. No matter how I feel going into this race, I want to give my best from start to finish. 
5) I really enjoy the social aspect of cycling events and group riding. It brings the best out of me. 
6) Karel has taught me so much about terrain management, group riding skills and etiquette and knowing how to read the actions of other riders. These skills have helped me tremendously in triathlon racing, as well as in group riding/events. 


I've participated in the event 5 times ('16,'17,'18,'21,'22) and Karel has participated three times ('16,'17,'22). Out of all the times I've raced in this event, I feel that this year was my best. My legs felt amazing from start to finish, I didn't have any low moments, the climbs didn't feel as hard as they did in the past (although still hard, just not as hard), the weather was perfect and I was able to stay with fast groups. The only downside is that Karel and I started way back in the corral so we had to wait a good 5+ minutes before we started to ride. This prevented us from riding near the front, which ultimately affects the entire race. I'm hoping that next year I can figure out a way to get closer to the front as I feel that will make for a completely different race. 

It was fun to ride with Karel as we usually each do our own thing for this event. Karel experienced his typical cramping (happens everytime he does this event) just before the Green River Cove climb so he managed his legs while I rode ahead. I finished ~5 minutes ahead of Karel. 

The best part of the ride was joining the "celebrity" group of riders at the top of Skyuka. After we decended, I was in great company with Bob Jungles, Bobby Julich, Christian Vande Velde and George Hincapie until the rest stop in Saluda. I had one of my best times up the Saluda grade (2nd fatest female) all thanks to this group of guys with tremendous horsepower. I was at my limit at the top of the climb and the rubberband snapped just before the KOM timing mat at the top. 

Karel and I went into this event with the approach to be strategic and competitive throughout the event to see how well I could place. But we also had two other goals - to have fun and to be safe. My best performance is 3rd female (2017) but my goal going into the event this year was top 5. This event attracts top professional riders, as well as my friend and local superstar Debbie Milne (fellow RD, creator of Supra Bars and newly crowned Masters Track World Champion Cyclist). We knew I would be at a disadvantage starting in the middle of the corral but we tried our best to move up as much as we could. 

We arrived to the parking lot around 8am. The warm-up ride from the parking lot to the event was a little chilly (in the 40's) but I dressed warm in joggers and a long sleeve jersey (as well as a buff and gloves). I also had a pair of hot hands in my gloves for the 20 min of waiting in the corral before the start. I removed my layers and placed them in my bag (at the bag corral) and started with light arm warmers and light gloves. I also had a base layer tank under my Trimarni cycling jersey. I specifically wore my Pearl Izumi bibs as they have a droptail design. In other words, I don't have to remove the bibs to go to the bathroom - which makes it quick and easy to pee throughout the ride at the aid stations. I started off with two bottles of 400 calories Skratch SuperFuel and brought along 1 NeverSecond Berry gel, a package of PowerBar chews and a package of my custom Infinit (~240 calories) to refill at the Saluda aid station. I went through everything throughout the event and also had a cup of pepsi. The weather warmed up into the 70's and there was very little wind. 

Karel was able to snake his way through all the riders in the first mile of the event and although I was able to move up, I don't have the skills like he does so we had the plan to regroup at the turn off of Hwy 11. I was able to find myself in a good group from the turn off of Hwy 11 all the way to the base of Saluda. The highlight of the ride was catching a quick glance of a bear cub running across the road after the gas station outside of Tryon. 

I was never passed by any females throughout the entire race and although that had me feeling good about my placement, I also knew it would be hard to catch up to the lead ladies. 

The first 24.2 miles went by fast. I averaged 21.8 mph over 2000 feet of elevation gain. I knew it was going to be a good day when I felt strong on the first few long climbs, as well as the kicker before the lake. 

The Skyuka climb was hard as usual - averaging around 9% for 3.9 miles. It's a tough climb for me as it requires a lot of power. I felt like I could keep my cadence somewhat smooth and I was able to pass a few riders throughout the climb. Karel was ~2 minutes faster than me on the climb. It took me 32.36 minutes to get to the top (7.2 mph) and I was 6th female ranked on the Skyuka climb. We made a quick stop at the aid station knowing that the Hincapie group usually spends a bit of time regrouping up there. I made a quick pee stop in the port o potty (thankful for my bib shorts and not having to remove any gear!) before joining the group for the descend. Although I wasn't able to keep up with Karel on the fast and technical Skyuka descend, I was able to keep myself close to the group so that I could stay with everyone for the next section. 

The group pulled me along at 21.2 mph (13.3 miles) and this was a somewhat easier segment which allowed me to get ready for the Saluda Grade. 

The Saluda Grade is my favorite climb as it suits my style of finding a rhythm. It's not steep but gradual - averaging around 5-6%. We were passing many riders from the medio group and it was awesome to hear and see George Hincapie cheering for everyone. He was also proud that his son Enzo was 3rd in the Junior race. George does a lot for junior riders in this area and this race has a good payout for top 5 in the junior category (male and female). I found the effort of the group manageable for the first 1/2 of the ride but then I started to reach my upper limit. It got hard near the top and I really had to work hard to stay in the group. I managed to stay with the group until the very top of the KOM/QOM section before getting detached. I completed the Saluda grade climb in 18:47 and placed 2nd in the female category for the climb (11.8mph). I just missed first by 11 seconds. The nice part of being in this group is getting a lot of media attention and support vehicles. 

I refilled my bottle and had a few sips of pepsi at the Saluda aid station and made another pee stop. We had covered 45 miles in 2:36 and accumulated ~5000 feet of elevation. At this point, we needed to be strategic and take some risks. Karel decided that it would be best for us to ride together as long as we could in the Green River Cove loop - hoping that we wouldn't be caught by any groups (or other females). The Green River Cove loop can be broken down into 3 segments - the "descend" which also includes 3.5 steep short climbs, a flatish section and then the climb - with 17 switchbacks. 

I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with the guys I was riding with on the descends and steep short climbs so we went ahead instead of waiting for the group. We were caught by a small group at the top of the last steep climb but we also knew that this group would stop again at the next (Church) aid station. I didn't need anything from the aid station so Karel went to the bathroom and then we rode off. This next section was tough as it was a hard push for Karel to pull me for 8 miles. I took the lead a few times to give him a break but we also tried to conserve energy for the last climb. I kept looking over my shoulder anticipating the group to catch us anytime. This was a risk to ride alone as we were only averaging around 21 mph whereas I knew the group would be much faster - but then again, I may not have been able to keep up or burned too many matches. In the end, it was the right call to go ahead as we were caught just as we started the 1.97 mile Green River Cove climb. A few grades over 14% and 17 switchbacks to count down. Suprisingly, my legs felt good but Karel struggled with his inner thighs cramping and back hurting. I went ahead and finished the ride without Karel. I placed 3rd female on the Green River Cove climb in 16:01 (7.5 mph). 

I skipped the Saluda aid station on the way back and rejoined the Hincapie group until the Watershed descend. I was hoping that I could stay with the group to the finish but they attacked the 8+ mile descend faster than I could keep up. With only 15 miles left in the ride, I ended up doing the last 8 miles by myself, which was a special way to end this incredible day of riding. It was me vs me. I gave it what I could. I felt really good at the finish line and received a medal from my athlete Ruthanne.  I joined the Supra Cycling Club while waiting for Karel to finish. We then reunited with some of our athletes who did the medio distance (we are so proud of them for stepping out of their comfort zone!) and then watched the awards. 

Around 3pm we rode our bikes back to the car (~3 miles) and moved our car to the on-site parking area. From 4:45-6:45pm, we volunteered for "tear down" which was a lot of work. It gave me a whole new appreciation for what goes into the events that we do. We arrived home shortly after 7pm. 

I placed 5th overall female in 4:43.I just love this event and all the good energy from participants when it's complete. If you are looking for a challenging but beautiful course with great community and rider support, I highly encourage you to check out this great event.