Skip to main content

Beat the winter blues with your tribe

 The winter can be a challenging time when it's cold and dreary but getting outside to exercise is an immediate mood booster. And as the saying goes, there's no bad weather, only bad clothing.

On Saturday morning, Karel went gravel biking with our friend Alvi and I joined the GVL WBL group ride. I've participated in this winter bike league for the past few years and it has significantly helped my mental health in the winter. Being inside or alone with my own thoughts is challenging for me and I find that I am the happiest when I am with people. I feel incredibly lucky that I have several swim partners and bike partners to help get me out the door when the weather is less than ideal.  



I returned home from my ride shortly before Karel and for the next 20 minutes, I couldn't stop talking about the ride. I told him about the 60+ people that showed up, the horses that ran alongside us in a farm, the guy who didn't have the best bike handling skills and was making me nervous being behind him, my effort on the QOM (and winning $20), meeting new friends, reconnecting with familiar faces, the spicy effort on Pumpkintown road with the juniors taking the lead and pulling the group, and chatting up a storm with my friend Carley. And all of this in ~35-40 degrees. 



This got me thinking about a sense of belonging and how important "tribes" are to my happiness. I had to make the effort to form my tribes but it was essential for connection and belonging. Even though I'm selfishly seeking tribes to help me with my training/fitness, it's nice to belong to something greater than myself. Connecting with people you most identify with is extremely important to well-being. 



If you struggle in the winter, find a tribe. If you can't find one, start one. You deserve to feel like you belong. Find people who share similar values and passions. Develop awareness of what's missing from your life, what you are looking for and what you enjoy. Commit time and effort to your tribe. Be willing to try new things and to step out of your comfort zone. Ditch the judgement. Be open-minded. 

Rituals and routines are so important for mental health. For 8 weeks in December and January, I know where I neeed to be on Saturday at 10am. Even though I only know a handful of people at the group ride, there's no judgement, only belonging, respect and being cared for. We all share a love for the bike, for being outside and for enjoying the many benefits that come with riding in a group. I love my cycling tribe.