Skip to main content

Ironman distance #20 will be........

                          

Few people know this but shortly after I completed graduate school and received a Master of Science degree in exercise physiology from FAU (in Davie, Florida), I accepted a 6-month internship with Ironman from January until June 2006 in Tarpon Springs, FL. Instead of utilizing the two new initials behind my name, I was 23 years old, broke, living with my parents in New Port Richey, FL and obsessed with triathlon - I was registered for my first half ironman distance at Disney in Orlando, Florida (May) and my first Ironman in Panama City Beach, Florida. I received a very small amount of money each week to perform various tasks at the World Triathlon Corporation (located in Tarpon Springs, Fl). At that time, Dr. Gills - a world-renowned ocular surgeon and Ironman athlete - owned the Ironman brand. 

Much of my interning was learning about the behind-the-scenes of this event organization. Back then, the company was tiny compared to what it is today but the focus was growing and expanding the brand. The 70.3 World Championship didn't exist yet and Kona was still the holy grail. I spent a lot of my time working under Judy Molnar at Iron Girl. Some of my most memorable moments were being asked to write a nutrition article for the "Ironman Insider" newsletter, watching the excitement of the lottery winners receiving their IM World Championship slot, receiving a lot of Ironman-branded swag, spectating my first Ironman event (Ironman Arizona in April 2006) and learning all about the Ironman history. 

Although I went on to get a real job shortly after my internship, I absolutely loved my time interning at Ironman. Over the next year, I continued to help out with Ironman, writing articles, forming close relationships with triathlon-related brands and providing nutrition talks at many Iron Girl events. 

After I completed my first Ironman in Nov 2006, and qualified for the 2007 Ironman World Championship, I couldn't wait to stop by the World Triathlon Corporation building to share the news with everyone. I felt like I had family at Ironman. They were so happy for my accomplishment. 

Fast forward to 2022, I have now completed 19 Ironmans. I've participated in 5 Ironman World Championship events in Kona, Hawaii and just recently in May, I placed on the podium in my age group at the Ironman World Championship in St. George. I've won my age group at 5 Ironman events and placed top 5 in my age group at 12 Ironman events. I've lost count of all the 70.3 events I've finished over the years. Thanks to the Ironman brand, I've stayed in love with the sport of triathlon for over 16 years as I've been able to train for a distance that has challenged me and helped me grow as a human. Ironman has given me so many amazing opportunities. I formed close relationships with brands like Clif Bar and Oakley. I have made so many friends from all over the world. I've traveled to places that I never imagined I would see by swim/bike/run - like St. Croix, Whistler and Austria. I've been able to create so many memories with Karel. It was in 2011, when Karel took his first trip to Kona to watch me race and decided he wanted to try triathlon. Since then, We've raced 12 Ironman events together, including 3 World Championship events (2x Kona, 1x St. George). I've watched Karel race in Kona twice and have seen him excel at the long distance. 

The Ironman distance not only enhanced my life, but for the past 10 years, I've been able to enhhance the lives of others through my coaching and nutrition business. 

This past July I mentioned after Ironman Lake Placid that I was taking a break from the Ironman distance. This past year I explored different events, like gravel riding, mountain biking and Xterra. During this time, I realized that I still really love triathlons - especially long distance. Over the past year, I learned that it wasn't that I needed to move on from triathlon but I was seeking a different way to be challenged. 

I thrive in the journey. I love racing because I really love the process of training. I don't like to randomly sign up for events but instead, I'm meticulous in race planning. I spend a lot of time researching events, watching videos on events, exploring logistics like travel and understanding the course. I like to select events that I can't stop thinking about. The further out the event, the more time I have to prepare. But to keep me motivated, I need events that scare and excite me.

Over the past year, I recognized that the Ironman distance still excites me but I no longer feel challenged by the distance. It's a distance that I've mastered and I know how to mentally and physically prepare to race 140.6 miles and fuel for it. I've achieved a lot in the distance over the past 16 years and I am craving training for something new and different. When I started Ironman racing, I struggled. I was constantly experiencing setbacks and I was very scared of the enormity of the distance.  It took me over 10 years of training and racing to finally put the pieces together. And then for the next 6 years, I continued to work on my strengths and weaknesses. It was the process of self improvement and self discovery that kept me in the sport so I could finally excel at the distance. 

Like many, the history and storied traditions of the Ironman World Championship sucked me in. But it was the Ironman distance (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) that kept me going. The true beauty of the Ironman distance is in the lessons that I've learned about myself while preparing for each of my 19 Ironman distance triathlons. Personal growth occurs in the journey On race day, I am prepared to push the limits of my body and mind because I know I've prepared to the best of my abilities. I've learned that I can overcome obstacles and setbacks. I've shown myself that my comfort zone can be stretched. 

And so it begins. 

An extreme new chapter. 

Nature, adventure, challenge. Small field size. Self supported. Close to the full distance but no race is the same. 

Triathlon in its pure form. Swim, Bike, Run on challenging courses with distances distances based on topographic features, water conditions, terrain and local infrastructure.

I'm excited to announce that my 20th Ironman distance will be part of the XTRI World Tour, starting in Lac-Megantic, Canada (in Quebec) and finishing at the Mont Megantic observatory.

On July 2nd, 2023 I'll be swimming 2.4 miles at 4:30am in the freshwater lake of Lac Mégantic. I will then transition to my bike (with the help of my support crew Karel) for a 111.5 mile bike with 8202 feet of elevation gain. I will then run/hike for 26 miles with 3986 feet of elevation gain to finish at the Mont Megantic observatory. 

If this excites you, the organizers of the event have provided me with a few 50% off entries to the XTRI Canadaman/women and a few 50% off and free entries to XTRI solo point five events. 

If you'd like to join me in Canada on July 2nd, 2023, to win a free entry or 50% off registration, you can enter to win by completing this form.