Skip to main content

Southeast Gravel Saluda Event Recap

 

We woke up at 5am and left the house at 6am for our 90-mile drive to Saluda, SC. I did the driving so that Karel could use the Compex on his back (he has chronic back and hip issues and car rides and long rides flare it up). I was a bit tired as I didn't sleep the best the night before. I didn't feel nervous but perhaps I was a little anxious for the event since it was only my 2nd gravel race (first one being two years ago and I crashed by hitting a pot hole and my handlebars flipped forward upon impact - thankfully I was ok and finished the race). 

When we arrived to the parking area we picked up our numbers and got our gear ready. One last chance at looking at our clean bikes before the adventure started. The forecast was showing storms and wind so we knew that this was going to be a wild day before it even started. 






The field for the long course (103 miles) was a bit small but I didn't mind that. I knew I could still be competitive among those who showed up. There were two other ladies that were lined up near the front so I wanted to keep them in mind throughout the race.

The race started at 9am. My Garmin had the route loaded when we started but after a few miles it would show the message that it was taking a while to find satellite. This meant that the route was no longer there. Anytime I was on the main road, it would show the map but it was not accurately showing the turns. I figured this was ok since I was with a group, the course was well marked and I assumed that eventually it would pick up the satellite and all would be ok. 

After riding with the main group for over 10 miles, we reached a short gravel climb and because I was near the back of the group, I lost contact and could not get back. I encouraged the other female with me to try to chase them down but neither of us were able to get back on. The other female and I rode with another guy for a few miles but I found myself riding away from her and staying with two other guys after a few climbs. I was happy with my skills on the gravel sections as I was riding much more confident that in the past. 

When we got to a road section around mile 25, we started to take pulls. I was happy to contribute. I would drink from my frame bottles on the road segments as it was easier to grab bottles on the smooth road and drink from my hydration pack on the gravel. I had two bottles on the frame, each with 250 calories (1 packet) of GU roctane and in my hydration pack I had 2 bottles worth of 90g each (360 calories) of NeverSecond. I also carried a pack of Powerbar chews, 2 gels and an apple cinnamon fig bar. 

I noticed that a big group up in front made a wrong turn so we were getting closer to a big group. I really wanted to latch on to the group so I tried to pick up the pace on the next gravel segment. But this was also the time when there was a large mud section that required getting off the bike and carrying the bike through the mud and my foot got stuck in the mud and it felt like I had a cast on my left shoe once I finally got it out of the mud. 

I missed the group and I was alone at mile 30. At this point I felt like it was going to be a very long time of riding alone for the next 70 miles. 

Then the first storm hit. Thunder, pouring rain. At least it cleaned off my muddy foot. The gravel sections made me stay focused but it was hard to see with the mud and rain. I ended up taking my Roka sunglasses off because I couldn't see through them but then with them off, I was getting dirt and water in my eyes. 

After the rain stopped, I was able to find myself with another guy or two and we all rode together on and off for the next 30 miles. 

Then another storm hit and it was during a really wild gravel segment that almost felt like we were riding through the woods with tree branches covering me as I rode through. I was taking some risks riding through some mud puddles, not knowing how deep they were. One puddle was deeper than I anticipated and I felt in the mud. Thankfully the rain cleaned me up.

Finally the last storm hit. I was getting a bit cold from the rain so when the sun finally came out I was feeling much better. 

I had a few low moments after reaching mile 50, thinking that I was only half way. Gravel riding requires such a different mindset than on-road riding as the miles go by a lot slower at times and it's very unpredictable. I had never been on this course so I didn't know what to expect but Karel (and others) did warn me that there would be a lot of mud because of the clay-like roads. 

I tried to stay positive by only focusing on one gravel segment at a time and trying to push the pace on the paved segments. It was hard being alone for so long as anytime I saw another rider, I was relieved to have some company. I was leading the women's race but I felt like at any point, I could be passed so I kept riding as strong as I could. I could feel my mountain biking skills paying off on some of the gravel/mud segments. 

Around mile 70, we hit a very muddy road that clogged up the wheels until they wouldn't turn. I was with two other guys and we were walking through the mud, carrying our bikes. Thankfully I have a good amount of tire clearance so my bike was more rideable at times compared to others. But I still had to stop several times and pull the mud out of my bike (or use a stick to push it through). Oh the adventures of gravel racing. 

Since I was alone, I continued riding until I got to a major intersection. I was nearing mile 83 and had been riding for over 5 hours. I was getting a bit tired but overall I felt ok. I was having a hard time thinking that I still had 20 miles to go. I saw no signs. My garmin told to go straight for 10 miles so I continued through the intersection and kept on riding. 

Sadly, I missed a left hand turn just before the intersection. After riding off course for 12 miles, I called Karel (who had finished the race) and told him that I thought I was lost. I told him that I would just ride back to the start but not cross the finish line but when I looked at my map, I still had 15 miles to go and my Garmin was taking me only on the main roads as the "quickest" way home. I was so sad, frustrated and upset after working so hard for almost 6 hours and 93 miles. I asked Karel to pick me up as it didn't make sense to continue riding. I waited for him in the grass at the corner of the road. It was hard to be alone with my own thoughts for 20 minutes as I waited for him but it also gave me time to work through some of my emotions from an exhausting day. 

Sadly, the story doesn’t end there. As I was changing on the side of the road, I got bit by something on my left foot. I am very sensitive to bites and swell and itch immediately.

Well, this was my most severe reaction. After experiencing full body itching as Karel was driving us home, we stopped at a CVS just outside of Saluda for some Benadryl (I usually travel with anti-itch stuff but left it at home in my travel bag). I went inside the store with Karel to get what I needed (spray and Benadryl pills) but I couldn't stay in the store as my reaction was getting worse and I was having trouble breathing. I started to hyperventilate in the CVS parking lot as I was sitting in the car. As Karel was walking to the car, I got out and told Karel that I don't know what to do. I was so uncomfortable. My body was itching severely from my scalp to the back to my legs and feet. After spraying me all over with the anti-itch spray, Karel got me to sit in the front seat and I put my legs up. Then, what I thought was me taking a deep nap as he was driving us home, turned out to be me passing out in the CVS parking lot. Poor Karel - exhausted from his race, he was having to take care of me. When I woke up I was able to take some Benadryl and finally started to feel some relief. What a day.

Gravel-2. Marni-0.

During the race, a rider asked me how I got into gravel riding. I told him that in addition to Karel loving off road riding, after 17 years of long distance triathlon racing, I was seeking new unpredictable adventures that made me feel like a beginner again.

At my first gravel race, I crashed. Two years later, I got the courage to get on another start line. After almost 6 hours of surviving two epic thunderstorms and downpours, carrying my bike through many peanut butter-like mud filled miles and safely negotiating my way through some questionable gravel “roads” I did not finish the race.

I've been an athlete all my life but endurance events have taught me so much about embracing vulnerability. It’s so hard to feel the uncertainty, the risk, the pressure and the potential of failure and still try to give your best and stay positive along the way. This is the definition of courage. If you have ever struggled with a DNF, DNS or a really hard race/event day experience, remember that courage is not the absence of fear, it’s feeling afraid and being willing to show up anyways.

Onward I go. 💫









Congrats to Karel for a great race and finishing top ten overall! And for being the best bike mechanic/cleaner//caregiver/support crew!